1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small cab advice for the ignorant, please

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pklima, Apr 14, 2006.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've been playing ampless for the past five years so I'm pretty ignorant of that stuff but I'll finally have to put together a rig. I have a Clarus on the way and need some cab recommendations.

The trouble is that in Poland there are very few cabs available to try in stores aside from the standard 2x10s and 1x15s geared towards BG. Luckily rooms, guitar amps and drum kits here tend to be small so I don't need to be terribly loud. I'd like to get something smaller (2x8 or 1x12, maybe, but not really ultra-light or ultra-portable) and more hi-fi. It looks like I'll have to just mail-order something from Western Europe sight-unseen.

So, any recommendations for a good first cab for a total ignoramus?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hi pklima,

i use a gk neo 112 (with a markbass-top) and am completly satisfied.
    you can mailorder it here:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/gallien_krueger_neo112_bassbox.htm
    and can give it back in 30 days if you don´t like it.

its small and light and sounds (to me) very balanced.

hope this helps

bassist14

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you really don't need much volume, how about a PA speaker with an 8" driver to go with the Clarus? I have one of these here at school for quiet concerts and rehearsals, and it sounds great.

5. Yeah, or a cabinet made for keyboards.
    These have a flatter frequency response than the usual bass cab, which is mostly voiced for BG.

6. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    I ordered an Acme Low B-1 (www.acmebass.com) from their italian distributor, also without testing it before based on reviews I found on the net and e-mail conversation with the Italian distributor (the link is on the acme site), who is a player himself and was very patient in answering my questions.
    Anyway, if you can wait one or two weeks until my speakers arrive, I can tell you more. Send me a private message.
    Btw, Krakow is such a nice city - I had the pleasure to stay there for one week last summer and I loved it!

7. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Peter,

I've studied these posts and forums "ad nauseum". Just reveived my Clarus III and am running it through a Carvin PA cab with a 12" speaker for now. Sounds GREAT, better than my Polytone Mini-Brute with a 15" speaker. And NO pre-amp!

I'm deciding on either an Acme B-1 or Epifani UL-110. There's more than 10 lbs. difference between the two.

All The Best,

Roger Mouton

8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  9. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Thanks Nick. I had not considered GK's 112MBX. And 12 lbs. too. Awesome! Can't tell from your post but I assume you're playing through a Clarus?

10. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No, I play through a GK head. I use the 112 as an extension cab, but another upright tech-savvy friend uses his GK112 with a Walter Woods. (Although any cab would probably sound good with a Woods head...:smug: )

The dealer in Warsaw, from what I can tell off their website, does not stock the Microbass series. The Backline series is an entirely different cabinet. You wouldn't go wrong to special order the GK112 Microbass cab, though. It is very punchy, bassy, and the 12lbs is a thing of beauty.

11. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Nick,

Thanks again but I'm not in Poland. I'm in SoCA. I think the guy that originally started this thread is in Poland however and he's sure to benefit from these posts.

Best,
    Roger

12. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Right... duh... :meh: ... g/l!

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Thanks, y'all. That's all quite helpful.

14. if your in europe(Poland?) then you could probably try out the mark bass stuff that im itching to try, but am not willing to drive to canada for... theres a pretty big thread on it floating around.