1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by klem.gote, Jan 9, 2019.

1. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi!! I do a lot of work with a trio, upright, tenor sax and guitar. I have an AI Clarus head that I like and a couple of cabs, 10 and 12 inches that I use, but sometimes we'll do a gig where I can play acoustically, or close to it. I'd love a small combo amp to use on gigs like that, an easy in and out that gives me just a little more than the sound of my bass alone. I've been looking at the Phil Jones bass cub and similar amps. Does anyone have experience or recommendations with amps like these?

Thanks, Tom

2. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    The Phil Jones Double Four would probably work perfectly for you. It can be battery powered which is a neat feature. Be sure you're using some sort of preamp if you're using a piezo pickup though. Without one I really have to crank the amp to get noticeable volume from the amp.

its an extremely transparent amp, and does a great job of amplifying whatever acoustic tone you have

3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Sounds like a lot of my gigs. Happy with the GK mb112 II. Just got the matching powered cab
    for louder gigs with drums. (waiting for it to arrive)
    Ok, Got the GK MB112 II. Should I spice it up with the 112 MBP?

Winoman likes this.
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You've got a great amp and 10" speaker. Is it really that much of a hassle to wire up the two? The only advantage of a combo over what you have that I can see. If you want a smaller speaker, MAS16 is great for small group playing. You could get a powered version and ALIX pre for a really small setup. I don't think you'll find a small combo with as good or better sound.

Dudaronamous likes this.
  5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There's both a powered and an unpowered MAS 1/6 in the TB Classifides as we speek. I have a powered MAS 1/8 and MAS 4.5 they are
    outstanding. Eric's right, although there are some nice combos out there, Mike's stuff is a whole nother ball game.

6. I have the AI Coda combo, and the GK MB150S. They are both excellent combos. I prefer the GK combo. So light. So powerful. Such a good upright sound.

7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    a lot of cabinets I initially design for something that I need. I play a lot of gigs that are duo or drummerless trio. That's specifically why I designed the 16. I know that Hans Sturm is happy with his in a big band setting. That's pushing it IMO.And it's nice to have a 13# speaker in a backpack

Ric Vice likes this.
  8. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi. And no it's not that big a deal, but more than I need sometimes and often means another trip. But I hadn't thought about the MAS16. Never played one of his cabs but I'm well aware to the reputation, that might be just the thing for me, thanks!!!

Povl Carstensen and Ric Vice like this.
  9. Just one more data point... I gig in a trio with that same combo and although I have several different amps and cabs on the shelf my Phil Jones BG-150 has become my go-to for the trio. I park it behind us in the middle... the upfiring speakers help us hear and the front firing speakers work well for the audience. Plenty of power if the crowd gets loud, not too heavy, plug it in and go.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    klem.gote and Ric Vice like this.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I own three PJB combos - Super Flightcase, Flightcase, and CUB. The CUB is my least favorite. To my ears, the sound is great until the volume goes past a certain point. Beyond that, the small size of the cabinet gets overwhelmed trying to move the air and the sound gets muddy more quickly than I would like. I love the other two combos to death, and have played them, everywhere with great results. The SFC has been my go to amp for almost 10 years now.

I’ve heard great things about the double four, but have not yet had the chance to try one.

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chris,
    I think that's true for most of the smaller cabinets I've owned. The EA VL-108's were just beautiful, until they hit "the wall". This is true I've ever owned, with the exception of the MAS 1/8. Phil Jones resides, here in

St. Louis. I have a close friend who used to work for him. So, perhaps I'll look him up. He's always working on new things. Since he's an sound engineer, who plays bass, he has a really good handle on how to design and build bass amps and cabinets.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    They don’t make em anymore but the GB shuttle series 8T and 10T would fit the bill. I have a shuttle head with a crazy 8 that is very schleppable.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  13. Groove Doctor likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  15. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    I'm confused. Upfiring and front firing speakers???

16. Whoops, typo... meant the BG-150. Two speakers that face up, two speakers and two ports facing forward.

klem.gote likes this.
  17. Man Ive been rocking this little guy for exactly the same situations and it just kills:

Traynor Amps

Full disclosure. I work for Long and McQuade, who's owners also own Traynor. That said this little guy is great for small venues and makes DOUBLE BASS load-ins a one trip affair. I absolutely love mine.

Golihur sell em'

Jason Hollar likes this.
  18. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Agreed 100%. And if you do you are going to out a grand or more. A bow upgrade or something will be a better use of money, or even just put out an album of one of those groups.

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Now we're getting into really expensive territory, I should have purchased several bows when I was a student, as they are nearly triple the price they were in the 1970's when a $1000.00 got you a very nice bow, provided you had a $1000,000