1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small rig for big gigs? Who does it with what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duderus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello everyone,

This thread is curious if any propel and who may use a small bass rig for big gigs rather than the mother load.

If this is you why do you do it?
    What do you use?
    Commentary from others on it?

2. I use an Ampeg PF-500 and a fEARful 12/6/1.

Great lows, present mids, great dispersion.

[​IMG]

3. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Geddy Lee only used a Sansamp BDDI as his live rig for a while.

I personally like having a wall of sound on stage when appropriate.

4. Bozmonaut777

Bozmonaut777

Mar 10, 2013
    i got a traynor YBA tube combo. Best small gig amp ever. If i need effects or reverb or more juice i plug my epiphone valve standard tube amp into it and use it as a head. Thats just my thing and allbeit it most people dont use guitar amps for bass i have a eastwood bass VI so it can take it. I see there are really nice Ampeg Micro VR small gig amps available. I saw a bassist playing with these after a set i played. If you have two cabs of these you wouldnt need much else.

5. Bozmonaut777

Bozmonaut777

Mar 10, 2013
    CIMG2442.

6. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I have great gear, but the yba bass mate is why I am asking. I plugged my epifani 1x12 as an extension and it sounds fantastic.

How does yours sound in a live setting? What do use as a di? I'm thinking of getting one that runs between the amp and cap to pick up the tube tone.

I also noticed a huge different when I plug my wireless digital into it. I feel my true bass tone is more livelier! Weird cause I though cords would be better but my highs and miss are much clearer using the line 6 digital wireless through this rig.

Any input or pics would be appreciated. Thanks for the thread comment.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I greatly prefer to use a big cab rig, but I've done the small stuff many times for various reasons, like saving room in the van for other needed stuff, a very difficult load-in or out, stage space/line-of-sight issues, inclement weather on outdoor gigs, and occasional bouts with laziness. With PA, you can literally use anything as long as it meets your onstage volume needs. But most of the time I bring a tube amp and I at least bring a decent sized cab rig because it's more enjoyable to me and sounds better.

Ampeg B-15N, Micro VR or PF350 with one or two SVT 210av's, BA110, BA108 (but only on my smallest of small gigs).

Aside from getting called a lazy bum as a joke now and then, nobody in my main band really cares what I bring to my gigs as long as it sounds good and they can hear it as much as they need to.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Depending on the gig, I'll either use my Carvin BR615, or if it's a really big show with a sound guy dedicated to stage monitors, I kinda like just plugging in direct, and letting them do their thing.

I like not having to lug too much stuff around.

9. I have gigged with an Ampeg B50R (50 watts), Ampeg B100R(100 watts) and an Ampeg BA112 (50 watts) and they work fine with PA support. It helps if the drummer plays with brushes or is capable of playing with low volume dynamics. Guitar player also played a small tube amp. It's nice to play and hear the vocals!! :)

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The smallest big rig I ever used was a GB Shuttle 9 driving a Berg NV610. It worked extremely well. Wish I still had it, but the Berg took up too much storage footprint and I don't play that many big gigs these days.

11. all i ever use is my trusty GK MB-200 into a GK 2x12. i play in several different bands. upright and slab. loud drummers and big guitar amps. inside, outside. most of the time with no PA support. this rig can cover EVERYTHING!! doesn't even break a sweat and i NEVER have to turn it up past halfway. best rig i have ever had.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    GB Shuttle 6 and 2 112 epifani cabs. My main rig now. have not come across a show that it cldnt handle, playing (Rock-ish) at good size club gigs. (we always have pa though, but even still never had a prob hearin myself ..and master volume never even close to 1/2)

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Most gigs see me with a Markbass Little Mark III head and one Markbass Traveler 151P cab. Big gigs see the same, only with one more 151P cab. Gotta be lightweight for this lazy dawg (and for my old body).

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    My small rig for big gigs is Ibanez P500H (Promethean) into a GB NeoX 212T. Of coarse I get FOH support when needed. Plenty of stage volume for my needs though, even outdoors.

15. I mostly use small rig.

The best reason to use a small rig on a big gig is when the gig isn't really all that big and using a big rig loud would stuff up the front of house sound. This happens all the time.

Flea brings three whole big rigs to his big gigs and a "gigawatt" PA.

How big are your big gigs?

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I tend to use my Bergantino NV215 cab for any gig, simply because it is easy to transport and I love the tone, especially with tube heads which I prefer. On smaller gigs I use a Fender Bassman 100T, otherwise the Super Bassman 300. I do have a GK 115 speaker which occasionally gets used at a very small (say 60 seater or under) venue. However, when the new Bergantino 115 arrives I would expect it to get more use. To me, a big gig is a 200-300 seater venue, or an outdoor concert - both of which would have FOH support. These definitions are, of course, very personal and subjective. I played a 300 seater at the weekend with my Bassman 300 and the Bassman neo 610 cab, the onstage tone to my ears was heaven, but to be honest there was sufficient side fill that I could have forgotten the amp and just DIed into the monitor system and the FOH. But I wouldn't have had so much fun.......:D

17. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Biggest room I ever played with my litte EBS Drome was the Quarter Note in Sunnyvale, CA. I had XLR out to the board for FOH reinforcement, but 150 Swedish watts through the 1x12 was actually adequate for stage monitor levels vs. two guitarists with Marshalls. The Drome is the little blue guy behind me, up on a plastic step stool for dispersion over the top of the drum riser.

QuarternoteBassSm.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I played the MGM Grand in Vegas with no amp or cabs, just a Radial DI.:bassist:

But on a normal gig, I have used a MB F1 and a single 210 cab with FOH.

19. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I mainly am a small rig user. Between theatre gigs, folk gigs and running direct at church, my needs are not gigantic in terms of amps. I've been relying a lot lately on the PJB Bass Cub, which is a warmer, more traditional sounding amp compared to the Briefcase (based on the NeoPower speakers in the Cub). It's held its own in a 37 piece orchestra pit a month ago, while still staying on the soundman's good side.

20. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    strmlnr 900 & two 210av's work great for me.