Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small size amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dooft11, May 17, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear all
    i am looking for a portable size amp head- something like the mesa walkabout is what i considered portable. I am going to use it mainly in the venue which i will only have stage monitor but no bass amp. and i will feed it direct to the pa as a di and i can also use it to upgrade my existing fender combo, since the fender can serve a speaker or power amp. the Sansamp serve me pretty well, i had tried the EBS microbass II which seems pretty good as well since it is so portable and it can work as a headphone amp with headphone out and Aux in....
    Someone tell me that the Mesa walkabout is a decent one, while someone say EA is good.. i am new to amp thing.. so please suggest.
    Thanks

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    both are good. there are tons to choose from. judging by your location you may not have as many to choose from in hong kong as we might in the usa.

almost all amp heads these days have di outs, and there are lots of very small ones to choose from. try as many as you can.

3. there is a killer music shop in tsim sha tsui. they sell Phil Jones Jones stuff there.

Edit:

Eden actually is cool because of the universal voltage. The Time traveller and smaller WTs are small and light and powerful. I know HK requires lots of walking and hills and stairs and crowds.

I thought originally you were just looking for a decent preamp with a nice DI.

4. Maybe you could try Acoustic Image. They have VERY
    portable amp heads that weigh only about 4 or 5 pounds.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite "compact" heads would be the Walkabout, iAMP 500, and Walter Woods Ultra. I have not tried the AI Focus, but I did try the Clarus SL (which is really small!) and was very impressed. A "regular" Clarus or Focus would probably be a safe bet. It looks like Ashdown has an interesting compact head, the Superfly, coming out soon. Maybe it is out already. The Eden WT-550 is another very good, fairly compact head.

Tom.

6. The Acoustic Image Clarus is a great sounding head for an acoustic bass guitar or an upright, but (IMO) it's not optimal for an electric bass (especially if you use round wounds with an active preamp). The Little Mark by MarkBass might have distribution in your area, and I've heard some good things about them.

7. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    +1
    have a look at the new
    LITTLE MARK II

www.markbass.it

8. How about Epifani 502UL?

Same size as Eden and sounds real good!!!

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a clarus 300IA its dead light at 5LBS, and runs 100watts at 8ohms, 200w at 4 ohms and 300w at 2ohms.

Its the size of a large book.

10. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Thanks man, it is eye opening, i really wish here in hk we can have more brand available to try out.. and the shipping cost for buying amp oversea is overkilling....

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Make that +2. Great little head. Very happy with mine.

But...I think you can go smaller with a Gallien Kruger MB150. They can be used as a preamp only device with no speaker load. They can be easily converted from 110 to 240 if you pick one up in the USA.

They're about the size of an alarm clock, probably the same as an AI Clarus, but with more EQ possibilities and possibly cheaper to buy.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    but arent the gkmb150 only 150watts? You can get 300w at 2ohms with the clarus. Also, imo the clarus is both lighter and smaller.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    He made no mention of power requirements. Sure the Claris is light and small and packs more power. I just didn't read that as key features in what he was looking for. From what I read, both heads satisfy his needs.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    cool :)

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Don't overlook the GK 400RB-III head, which is certainly not huge.

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1... this is a seriously good amp.