1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I am scouting for a small all-tube amp. definitely not more than 50wrms.
    Anybody know of such a beast. Hopefully something lighter than 20lbs. for sure.
    I completely buy into the lightweight cabinet idea, now I'm looking for a lightweight all tube amp to go along that will still give great sound
    any suggestions appreciated!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You are dreaming. 20 lbs?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    One day, maybe Markbass will make one. Till then, you're not going to find one that weighs 20 lbs. Even a B-15 head is a little heavier.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pignose?

5. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    That's not a bad idea. Get the 40 watt tuber, throw an Eminence 1x10 bass speaker in there, and have at it.

6. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
  7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I just got through recording some basic tracks for a band's demo CD in my little studio. For some added grit on the bass tracks, I thought to borrow the guitarists' Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue combo amp (22 watts) and ran it through one of my Mesa 2x12 cabs. Worked very well... and got pretty loud to boot! Got me to thinking about looking into rigging up a little tube combo; find an old 2nd hand Fender head on eBay... and put it into a custom-built bass combo cab with a 12" bass speaker.

Might just be worth the time and trouble... ;)

8. epihone valve junior

9. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    It would be tough to manage any headroom through a single EL84 tube, but you might like the grind you could get from it.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    do exactly as i have. hartke transporter 1x15 cab modded with an EV 18" and top it off with a 50 watt guild thunderstar. I believe the cab = about 50lbs, the head = about 25lbs, and the sound = 9999999lbs:)
    DSC00648-1.

11. If you can find one, this is a decent idea. I think mine (the 100 watt bass version) only weighed about 35 lbs.

pignose002.

Mike

12. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    A neighbor gave me a Guild Thunderbird 2x12 combo (it was massive). When I was a kid and starting out on guitar. It only ran briefly, and I was so young and inexperienced I didn't know what to do to get it going again. It likely needed new power tubes. Cool old amps, though.

Since my adulthood, I've owned a couple of Guild tube guitar combos. Nice amps. \

How many watts is yours?

13. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I make them from scratch..50's deluxe.
    check out my myspace link in my sig. 20 watts of pure tube heaven...
    I Make a "champ" too,, 5 watts but loud as hell.
    all the cuts on myspace were recorded with the Deluxe on guitar and the Champ for harp..
    Pics in my pictures...
    (edit) If you have a little electronic savvy , and can solder good you can make your own.
    PM me for where to get the stuff...

14. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    about 45-50watts. perfect for small jams!

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Look for an old 70's Fender Bassmaster

16. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I'm running a 120 watt Peavey Butcher tube guitar amp through an Avatar 4x10. It sounds quite excellent, though I had to put some lower gain preamp tubes in it, and always use the low gain input. Fat, fat clean tones. I'm going to add an Avatar 2x12 cab and get even more volume from it.

DSC03688.

17. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    That's not a bad idea, either. Very lightweight, 6v6 power tube, tube rectified. You could upgrade the speaker in that, too, those have 12 inch speakers.

18. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    I LOVE that!!

19. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Some of those gui**** amps can be tamed for bass with an AU7 or similar in the pre.