1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smooth full sounding woolly fuzzy fuzz pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Inconnu, Apr 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So I started thinking about getting a new fuzz pedal. Up to now, I’ve been using an EHX Bass big muff. I like it, but it’s not THE one.

What doesn’t sound perfect with the BBM for me:
    - It’s got too much gain at lower settings, my basses have high outputs, so I don’t have much range to work with.
    - the blend fonction is not superb, and I loose too much lows without it.
    - I’m looking for a different flavor of sound.

What I wish for :
    - More control on gain.
    - more low end on the fuzzed sound (no need for blend if there’s enough lows to begin with).
    - a smoother, fuller sound. Not aggressive, more like a big fuzzy ball of wool.
    - preferably under $100 (limited use for a fuzz, limited budget).

I tried making a patch with my Zoom B1on, but I can’t seem to find a good setting.

Any suggestions for a cheap fuzz?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    TB will have many suggestions, but the best suggestion is to research what is shared, but do not limit yourself to $100 or less. You literally get what you pay for...

Sub-hoo-fer, cnltb, lazycat93 and 5 others like this.
  3. You could probably score a used Earthquaker Devices Hoof for around $120. It is my preferred fuzz. Fat, wooly, and smooth.

halech54 likes this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Idk, the DOD Carcosa could be exactly what you're looking for.....this is easily one of the broadest fuzzes I've played, TONS of sounds in it and its only around a cool hundo ;)

Not the best sounding demo, but you get the idea.....hopefully. (FF>> to 3:35 for the Carcosa)

Better sounding demo:

Shadowkast and Maxfenderbass like this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Carcosa or the MXR El Grande might fit the bill. Also the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine but that's over budget.

vvvmmm likes this.
  6. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Out of all the fuzzes I own, the Catalinbread SFT probably best fits that (the second version with the Stones/Stoner switch). On the Stoner setting it's very fat and smooth, and the EQ is good enough to retain a lot of lows (no clean blend, although I don't find I need it). It's designed to emulate Ampegs, so think big fat Kyuss sounds.

I found mine secondhand on Reverb for £99, I've seen others go for around the same. Just make sure it's the newer version with the Stoner switch.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  7. DOD Carcosa seems really versatile and cool. I'm gonna need to snag one sooner or later. Love what DOD has been doing lately.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz version 1. See the pic below. A somewhat under the radar but rad fuzz that seems to tick your boxes. Smooth fuzz, gets lower gain and has tons of low end. And... Cheap cheap. Can only get a used one tho. Based on the Frantone Peach Fuzz. I got mine on Reverb for like $40.
    92A44A3C-EB4A-4C9F-806B-9F0715DFBBC8.jpeg

9. Is that made of plastic? Solid?
    What’s the difference between version 1 and others?

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Strong this. I made this mistake and wound up spending over twice as much when you account for losses re-selling and return shipping to find the right fuzz pedal.

11. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Yeah, it's plastic but mine has held up well. Not my fav enclosure but for the price to tone ratio I'm willing to bend elsewhere. As I understand it, the designers copied the peach fuzz and a few other popular pedal designs around the same time. When the danelectro realized this they made them change the circuits entirely.

12. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    How bout the Green Russian Big Muff? It may not have much low gain, but it's cheap with lots of low end:

13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Source Audio After Shock. Done.

LowActionHero, alack and hintz like this.
  14. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    My suggestions
    Without Blend; EHX Green Russian Reissue, Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, Zvex Wooly Mammoth.
    With Blend; TAFM, Grand Tarkin.

Sub-hoo-fer and rratajski like this.
  15. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Please note that our Grey Stache can have a clean blend added (option on our site).

16. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Catalinbread SFT run at 18volts - sounds great - very smooth, with a lot of headroom and the ability to dial down the gain.
    at 9 volts you will probably find it has too much grindy gain with a high output bass.

17. Over budget, but the Pharaoh Supreme ticks all of those boxes and then some.

In budget, I think the old DOD Classic Fuzz is absolutely amazing. Smooth, wooly, great range of tones for only 3 knobs, and about $40! I have 3! (No, they’re not for sale!)

Lammchop93 likes this.
  18. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Dunwich Wizard is over budget for the OP, and it is a big box. I think the sound might be in the ballpark. It can be more of an overdrive sound than a harsh fuzz.
    Not terribly helpful, for the OP, but maybe useful for others interested in similar tone goals. Dunwich is also making a smaller enclosure version, for what that's worth.

Otherwise, I'd lean to Si based fuzz boxes (Green Russian style). In my experience, they are on the smoother sounding side of the spectrum (though, sometimes at the expense of mids being scooped). I'd avoid any FuzzFace clones.

19. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For big, smooth *low* dirt, give the Homebrew Hematoma a listen. It's a dirt pedal that sounds like it was designed for bass.

Not at all fizzy; instead, very girthy.

20. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Way Huge makes several that would be worth a listen.