1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smoothing Mahogany EUB Neck?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by vanderbrook, Mar 27, 2006.

1. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets...

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    I recently acquired an Ergo EUB (which is basically a single piece of mahogany) so I won't have to lug my carved bass to rehearsals (or anywhere else when the temperature is below zero).

I'm pleased with the Ergo -- my very experienced band mates suggested that they wouldn't mind if I brought the Ergo to an upcoming gig instead of the Real Bass -- but I'd like a smoother, slipperier neck. Should I take steel wool to it? Very fine sandpaper? I shy away from doing anything very permanent to my instruments, but I'd like to tackle this if it's fairly straightforward.

Knowledgeable advice would be most welcome!

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm not familiar with the Ergo... does the neck already have a finish on it?

3. vanderbrook

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    It does, although I'm not sure just what kind of finish it is.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So, the neck is finished and it is sticky? You will want to remove the finish with a sharp scraper, run through the sandpaper grits (220,320,0000steelwool) then finish with a drying danish oil. There are several different brands out there, they all do the same thing.

5. vanderbrook

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.