1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Snagg microchip

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CimaJazz, May 8, 2010.

1. CimaJazz

CimaJazz

Jan 14, 2005
    Is anyone familiar with this security chip?
    http://www.snagg.com/

My insurance offers a discount if it is installed on my bass.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How much of a discount?

3. CimaJazz

CimaJazz

Jan 14, 2005
  4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Sounds worth it then. I just wonder how effective it could be, since the chip needs to be read to be effective, and I doubt many pawn shops, music stores, and violin dealers will have one in the shop. The website conveniently doesn't mention this detail. At best, this would help you prove ownership once the instrument is found and law enforcement has gotten involved. Incidentally, those tags cost less than a buck in bulk, but the readers are well over a thousand. That means that neither merchants nor local police are likely to own one. Still, your $22 includes maintanance of the registry, and if you can get a break on your insurance, why not do it. I just doubt it will actually help anyone get their bass back.

5. CimaJazz

CimaJazz

Jan 14, 2005
    That is exactly what I thought; the reduction in the premium is a plus, but since the chip does not transmit any data, I do not see how the bass can be recovered unless the buyer has the scanner to read the chip, look into the manufacturer's stolen list, and report it to the proper authorities.