Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

snow storm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MODNY, Dec 8, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey,

hamilton is supposed to be getting alot of snow tonight. the local weather guy says that its in indiana, chicago areas etc right now or something...

anyone experiencing this>>>

2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    There's "supposed" to be a big storm to hit Connecticut tonight/tomorrow. I take it with a huge grain of salt though, because snow was in the forecast for tuesday and we didn't get a single flake. It was a total cop-out.

Vince

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on the cop out

But this ones bigger, tuesday was 1-2 inches, this one im in for 6-10.

4. Im expecting the snow storm thats going across the GTA too :smug: hopin for snow day....but prolly won't happen :scowl:

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i want tonnes, i dont wanna have skool

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Our crack meteorolgists have pretty much assured that they will be right. Our current forcast goes something like this:

estimated 2-20 inches of snow by late Friday, unless the storm heads more south in which case we might get nothing.

So there you go, tomorrow we will get somewhere between 0 and 20 inches of snow. That forcast covers probably 1092 days out of the last 1095.

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Sleet, rain, ice and snow. Visibility of about 20 feet was driving on the smooth stuff hoping it was the road.

Doe ran out in front of me. Tried to climb a fence then ran up the road ahead of me as I fishtailed trying to slow enough not to total the car if I hit her.

She maintained traction better then I did. It looked like she was doing splits as she ran up the road.

8. It's 11pm and has started here about an hour ago. They're predicting 1 to 3 inches by 1 AM with another 6 to 10 by tomorrow night. I'm SW NY state.

Vince, where in CT are you at? I used to be stationed at Groton/New London.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Down in southeast CT, we got about 3-4 inches on Tuesday, but it pretty much all melted away when the sun came up.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey leadfootbassman, my family lives right off of RT 12 in Norwich, so we're about 10 minutes straight down the road from Groton.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, there's no cop out this time- there's like five inches on the ground right now and it's still snowing hard.

12. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    I woke up to get ready for school this morning, and found out it was closed :hyper: It's still snowing very hard here, and we've already got around 4-5 inches on the ground. I'm in north-central CT.

Vince

13. Snowing here too in central MA, nothing too crazy, no wind, light yet wet snow...supposed to turn to a mix by drivetime...looking forward to that.

On a related note, WHY is it all the soccer moms in their 40 thousand dollar Lexus SUV's don't realise the 4x4 is there for a reason? As in you don't HAVE to go 10 mph, when my fwd Impala has been no-slip solid the whole trip until meeting up with your molasses ass. You'd think you would be used to New England weather by now Miss Mass Plates. Give a person a little snow, and they lose their minds.

Thanks for making me 20 minutes late.

14. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Up here the weatherfolks are calling for 2" by this afternoon, when the snow is supposed to stop. I can't say if it's the same system as you folks are talking about, though. I haven't been in this part of the world long enough to know how the weather tends to work.

Last week I just about wrapped my truck around a fair sized buck (with a fair sized rack, too). The fellow in front of me had just turned off the road and I flipped on my brights just in time to see the buck come tiptoeing out of the ditch. Luckily I had enough time and the road was dry enough to slow down plenty. Still made for a few tense moments, though.

-Nate

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I had to get a 12 pack of Pepsi at the grocery store yesterday evening and it was packed. You'd think it'd never snowed 6 inches before, here in PA. Better stock up on the milk and bread, you don't know when you're gonna be able to get out next...

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got today off , was snowing hard, now is light , havent gotten the inch count but its aboiut 10-12

EDIT: we're done now. Looks like about a foot.

17. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I was living in PA back in '93. Madness, I tells ya, madness.

Of course, we had a week without school, so that was pretty alright.

-Nate

18. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Either that, or they think that the 4X4 makes them invincible and gives them the same stopping ability as on drive pavement and end up rear-ending somebody.

Vince

19. Thing is, 6", 12", 18" of snow? It may have been a big deal 30 years ago, but now? maybe a half-day inconvenience.

And people still insist on losing their minds. pure insanity.