1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Snowshoeing

The fiance's latest obsession. This past summer it was going on bike trails, this winter it's snowshoeing and hiking. Hiking is a no brainer, good pair of shoes and walk. Snowshoeing after doing some research (mostly on YT) seems to be a bit involved in equipment and the choices based on where you are going and what you will be encountering.

I am also trying to find a store that specializes more in that than your standard big chain: REI; EMS: Cabelas; Bass Pro; Dicks; etc.

So any input would be appreciated.

She also mentioned Cross-Country Skiing. She has no interest Skiing in general (going down hills) unless it's on a tube so this would be flat lands on skis and using poles. But the snowshoeing is where we will start for now.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I found two pairs of really nice snow shoes at a local thrift store. I thought about grabbing them, until I remembered that we generally get one snowstorm a year around here and I would have to store them 364 days a year.

3. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Yeah for NC I would say biking, surfing, etc. I just got back from NC.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I bought snowshoes to try out, then we didn't have decent snow for about 5 years, by the time we had enough snow, the shoes were buried in the back of the garage...

MattZilla likes this.
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That is a concern but there are ski areas that offer land to do this and make sure there is snow.

6. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Check out GV Snowshoes Canada. They have a pretty comprehensive website that will help you determine what size or style is best for you. You can get ones designed for ice, powder, hard pack and racing etc. The size is determined by the conditions and your weight including any packs.
    Hint: if she's a mtn. biker you can rent a couple of fat bikes and ride the summer trails now.

7. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Rent...BAH if I am getting a fat bike I am buying and I want a single gear one!

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Can you spare a weekend? Go to the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine. They have everything you wintery outdoorsy types could possibly want. And hunting stuff. In the summer they have everything you summery outdoorsy types could want. I'll give you a guess what they have in spring and fall.

They even have a web site now: Home | Kittery Trading Post

I got a set of mittens there back in '75 or '76. Still use em'. Possibly the best investment I ever made.

geeza and Radio like this.
  9. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That is 3hrs at least. No thanks.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If you repeat "snowshoeing" several times quickly, it turns into "snowschwing". This concludes this public service announcement. :beaver:

11. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    PSA#2: If you shift the drop one beat it becomes "schwings-nooooo!"

Edit: I'm such a dork.

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    as someone who rides ss year-round in upstate NY and had access to the fatbikes of all levels (tires make a humongous difference in enjoyability, most suck), I gotta ask: do you really think that you're gonna use it that often to justify the cost? A fatbike with crap tires on the best snow will make you wish you just walked instead.

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    given the choice between X country skiing and snowshoeing, I've tried them both BTW, I'm going skiing everytime.

MattZilla likes this.
  14. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You're in CT? Is there an EMS nearby?
    Or... google, ..... wait for it.... "best snow shoes".:)

I had a pair. Don't remember what brand they were. Only used them once I think.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Not much snow in New England to go snowshoeing.
    Lots of hard pack and ice.
    The newer aluminum frame shoes have a crampon type toe
    that is invaluable for stomping on N.E. boiler plate.
    Poles are worth it also.

16. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Snowshoe type is going to be based on weight, terrain/snow conditions and activity (walking, running, climbing). Are you going to be walking on groomed, primarily flat terrain or deep snow in variable terrain? If you plan on doing any kind of ascents then you need snowshoes with appropriate grip (and possibly heel lifts). Poles can also be handy. You should also consider what kind of boots will work well (how warm, high and flexible) and, well it all depends on the nature of your outings. For short walks on flat, groomed trails wear whatever you would typically wear for a winter walk. For deep snow gators can be very useful, along with proper snow pants. For safe outings in the mountains - that's a longer checklist.

17. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That depends on whether you're talking flats or mountains.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    It does not snow where I live.
    I own snowshoes.

Granted, they look older, and largely hand made. Don't really remember where I got them.
    But, I have them...

19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    snow shoes 1. I've done it a time or three; a little cross country skiing, too. These are what I used; they're classed as "Antiques", now, so that'll give you an idea of how long ago it was...;) But, they're indicative of the 2 general types. The bigger ones are what you want if you have to go some serious distance; the smaller ones (called "bear paws") are for shorter trips, or if they're not your primary mode of transport. I can't speak for the new hi-tech ones, but... walking with either of these things on your feet takes a LOT of practice. You won't get anywhere very fast, either. I mainly used the bear paws when I was in Junior High in Minot, ND; going to the bus stop, and coming back home. Used them a lot in Idaho, too, when I used to hunt coyotes in the winter - for money. They're easier to pack when you're using cross country skis, which I also sometimes used, to go way up into the back country. If I didn't need the skis, I usually used the big 'shoes. They hold you up out of the snow better; especially when you have a 45 lb. pack and a dead coyote or two...
    The skis I used at the time would probably be classed as antiques now, too; but they worked just fine. Since I live here in the desert now, and there's no money in coyote carcasses to speak of, I don't use snowshoes or skis any more. So, I can't help you much with the new skis or shoes; except to say that it's real easy to spend too much on either; and both are a lot of hard work...:thumbsup:

edit; no idea why they stuck the bear paw picture down in the bottom corner...:eyebrow:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  20. I've had to snowshoe many times over the years for my work. All I can say is there's a reason the old-timers call them "misery slippers".