So Close!!!! (NBD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alanolynn, Jul 3, 2019.

1. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    So, its not completely finished yet, but its up and running enough to play! So I'm going to give it a crash course at a 4th of July party tomorrow.

I'll still make sure to have a backup, but I'm just jazzed to finally have this badboy in playing condition!

#neckdivefordays almost.jpg

2. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    That’s a really cool bass. I love the #neckdivefordays haha. The simplicity of the setup is cool one MM pickup and one knob (assuming volume?) Pretty sweet project!

3. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    That's bass has mojo, for sure. Kudos! What's missing? Decal? String tree?

alanolynn likes this.
  4. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Love a reverse headstock. Where did you get the neck or did you make it yourself?

alanolynn likes this.
  5. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    String tree is on now. No decal yet, but I promise it’ll be cool.

6. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    The neck is an UBER cheap amazon brand called kmise. Straight from China. The frets needed SUCH leveling. Still, it’s a nice, flat, pbass style that I love.

7. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Simple was exactly what I was going for. Form and function...it’s been my motto for as long as I can remember.

8. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Looks great! Have a great gig tomorrow, ill be doing the same, block party! Happy 4th

alanolynn likes this.
  9. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Gig report!

Hot as balls, of course, so I wore shorts. Yeah, shoot me.

The bass....it needs a LOT of work. Only made it through the first set with it and had to switch back to the VM Jazz. BIG difference.

Frets still need lots more work, the strings I bought (Power Slinkys) were too much for me. I was hoping the extra tension would be fun and allow me to dig in harder, but it was just...painful. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a weakling.

Action was awful, but I'll blame that on the fretwork not allowing it to get any closer.

The neck got terribly sticky, and made me realize that I LOVE a lacquered neck. So, that'll be happening.

The neck dive really wasn't all that bad. Go figure, the only thing I was worried about and it was the last on my mind after everything else.

The pickup (no-name) is SUPER hot. I needed to keep my volume on my bass down to near nothing to keep it from overdriving/fuzzing out. I'll have to look into that.

All in all, if it were a car, I could say "runs great, just needs a motor" lol

Hope all you other folks had great holiday gigs. Thanks again for the encouragement!

sgtpepper likes this.
  10. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    2019-07-04_jpeg.jpg

So, it's not a pic of the new guy getting some play, but just to share for your guys. Fun time with LOTS of fans...

sgtpepper and Sub-hoo-fer like this.
  11. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    What’s that matte black thing in front of your cab?

12. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Shhhhh, we don't talk about that haha

sgtpepper and Sub-hoo-fer like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021