1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so how is it that you picked up the bass???

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by abrahamseed, Mar 12, 2009.

1. abrahamseed

abrahamseed

Feb 19, 2009
    the Piedmont
    How many times have you been asked....."what made you decide to be a bass player?"

For me, I didnt even know what I was getting into, but looking back, if I had to choose, it would definitely be the bass. I had three friends who were trying to put a band together. We were sitting around and they mentioned that if they only had a bass player, they would be set. I responded by saying, " I'll be your bass player......What's a bass?".....It was a perfect fit, me and my bass.

Tell your story...........

2. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    my buddy and I used to get together and play our guitars. I was a lousy guitar player so I switched to bass. We got a drummer and walla, our first band.

3. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I was playing rythmn guitar in a band while I was in high school and our bass player got mad and quit. The band leader says to me, you are our new bassplayer. Forty five years later I am still playing bass.

4. I had always considered me too clumsy to play any stringed instrument. I was having a hollyday in Ibiza, at a friend's house. Friend mentioned "my 2 guitarrists are the typical who started playing in their thirties. That was hint number 1.

Hint number 2 was September the 21st, 2007 (day after I heard the 30s comment). I saw a TV section on Jaco Pastorius' death 20th anniversary. I saw that guy there and decided I had to learn to play bass. So I decided to buy a guitar... (yes, I thought I had to learn guitar first, then bass). So when I got back home I bought a second hand variax guitar and started fooling around.

Hint number 3 was my cousin is a pro bass player, and I had seen him on stage a few times, with the same 'jaco' smile of happiness.

So in November I bought a second hand MIM Fender P-bass and got a teacher. One year later got in a rock band.

Now I am waiting for my shop to get me a G&L 2500 from USA.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Hmmm, I was 10 years old and I watched that historic first Beatles Performance on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. I saw Paul McCartney with that cool looking bass and I said;

"This is something I have to get into"

Been playing ever since.

6. abrahamseed

abrahamseed

Feb 19, 2009
    the Piedmont
    i love that part about your cousin wearing that jaco smile.........that's classic