1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So how much do Wal basses go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DistantTremor, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    First of all, it should be painfully obvious that I am not going to be able to get one any time soon, if at all.

I know damn well how rare they are, and I know they cost a lot, but is there a general range of prices for them, or is it broad (like $4000-$8000?)

Lately I've been GAS'ing for a Wal, especially after hearing Geddy Lee's tone and seeing Rush performing YYZ live here:

Also, I've heard that a Rickenbacker can get somewhat close to the tone of a Wal. Is this true?

2. I dont like geddys playing in that vid, and yes that rather does sound like a ric!

I don't know how much wals go for tho, but I know i will never want one. I think they are ugly and their tone isn't all that specal

3. an arm, a leg, and your 1st born child

4. Thank you for the illuminating comment.:rollno:

DT, the short answer is, 'a lot.' The Wal craze of last summer that shot asking prices through the roof appears to be pretty much over, but as with any scarce item, sellers can generally get what they want for them. $4K US and up isn't unusual for a used bass.
    That said, a little further down in this forum is a post from a new Wal owner who recently bought one -- albeit with minor fire damage -- for $650 and seems happy with his purchase.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    The most recent on on eBay (1981 model) went for $4010.

6. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    Some people are just lucky, aren't they?

Yeah, I was thinking at least $4000...

Thanks for the intelligent responses, people. I appreciate it. :bassist:

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Wait till Justin Chancellor starts playing another bass. Prices may halve! :D

8. grieverOSOK

grieverOSOK

Jan 12, 2008
    Ohio
    ya justin chancellor is Wals bread and butter

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'll echo the £2k/$4k price. On ebay that is.

Now where can I find £2000.
    I need one...
    Now.

:D

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :p

Neither can I. :(

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    One would hope so, they barely sound like a bloody Wals when he plays them anyway! :p

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've wanted a Wal since I was 16 years old. 17 years later I still haven't got one.

I remember last year saying to my girlfriend I'd have to get one before Pete Stevens died or the used prices would skyrocket - then a month later he quit!

I'll probably never have one now, but a Mk1 fretless, walnut top, will always be my dream bass.

I did manage to pick up a '91 thumb bass, which was my other must-have, so I don't feel too bad. :)

13. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Wal production is tentatively scheduled to start again with another luthier taking over for Pete, but I'm assuming there will be a hefty price increase (probably getting into a Fodera-esque range). Keep in mind my custom ordered 5 string Mk3 was well over $4k back in 2001.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Well UK prices aren't affected by the shockingly cheap dollar, so I don't suppose they'll change much for new builds. I think you were smart to pay for yours in 2001. ;)

15. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    Didn't The Low End sell a couple of Wals a few months ago for $8000 a piece?

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How ridiculous is it to think that Wal basses were once considered "old hat" in the UK and used prices were terrible! :meh:

17. Wal 1979 Pro II E Active, Ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Black Finish, Black Pickguard, Fretless with Lines and dots, Chrome Hardware, Old Fender Case
    From Bass Exchange website asking $3199.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I recall seeing a Wal Pro bass sell for just over £500 on Ebay a couple of years ago. If I hadn't been so in love with my Kubicki I would have bought it!

19. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL