1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I joined a ukulele group

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Aug 12, 2019.

1. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Last year I took some uke lessons. The lessons weren't exactly highbrow, mostly geared towards people with zero musical knowledge or experience. But it gave me an incentive to practice and the group was nice, so it was fun.

Fast forward a couple of months after those lessons ended, and an innocent whatsapp message from yours truly led to a get-together of the group. We all played ukes and sang, and basically had a good time. Picked a new date, and decided to do this on a monthly basis.

That new date was today. Since I hadn't actually practiced any uke in the meantime, and since I knew there was a small bass amp at the host's house, I suggested taking my upright WAV 4 (alongside my uke).

It went down a storm. Everyone loved it and I ended up playing zero uke all night. Since there is no drummer or percussionist, I kept it simple. Mainly roots, some fifths and towards the end of the evening - as I got reacquainted with the electric upright - a good deal of chromatic fills.

We were discussing a new date for next month and when I told them to go ahead without me for one specific date, I was told: "No, we can't rehearse without our bass player!" :D

Les Fret, Kickdrum, PauFerro and 2 others like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I see a Kala U-Bass (or reasonable facsimile) in your future

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yup. I got one as a backup for my upright, and it's fun. But the upright is much more fun and I'd prefer to be playing it anytime.

I almost joined a uke club about a year ago when I first retired, thinking I'd back them up with banjo-uke, mandolin or bass. I could only stay about 30 minutes in the first visit -- I couldn't take it. That 150-strong synchronized C-chord strum just about made me pass out.

4. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Haha, I contemplated such a purchase but like @dhergert said, it's just too much fun playing the EUB. And truth be told, I've hardly touched the EUB these past years. This is a great excuse to keep it, and to get my chops back up. Also, for a lot of these people it adds to the "band vibe", which I am sure is something they love. I know I do :)

5. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I would suggest getting some novice percussionist to come and bang on a cajon or some other percussion instrument. There are a lot of them out there. Then you'd have a full rhythm section!

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    TRUTH!

- Steve

carl h., dhergert and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok good that you switched to upright. I don't like ukes. It's like a disease now. Everybody wants them! :):)

Steve Boisen and EddiePlaysBass like this.