1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I played a Pedulla for the first time today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jared92, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Guitar center in Fairfax VA got a Pedulla Pentabuzz 5 I believe its called.
    Always hear about them on here but never got a chance to play one. This bass was a fretless. I'm not nessicarily new to fretless, I own one I defretted myself. Plays alright but not amazing.

Anyway. I plug the beast in. I'm sitting there in my little cushioned stool, speechless. It was probably the greatest sounding instrument i have ever heard. The Bartolinis make it better too. If I could afford one at $2600, I would switch full time to fretless.

I just wanted to share my experience, and send greetings to all the lucky folks who can afford a beautiful Pedulla bass guitar.

2. Yep, IMO Pedulla makes some of the best sounding fretless basses in the world. IIRC, all Pentabuzzes are fretless. They're just 5 string fretless MVP's I believe.

3. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Hey, check out the used forum on here as well as the classifieds! You'd be surprised at the deals you can find on a used Pedulla! I landed a Pedulla Rapture J 2 fretless back in January for only $700 on Craigslist!!! Sometimes people have no idea what their instruments are actually worth, or they are in such desperate financial crisis that they are willing to get whatever they can!

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1. For some inexplicable reason, Pedulla basses do not hold their value very well. You can easily pick up a used Buzz in mint/near mint condition for less than $1500.

5. Fretless w/polyester+Barts is one hell of a fretless sound!!!!! The PJ combo and active electronics really lend themselves to a very flexible tonal range.

I kinda went with the Buzz and kinda designed a Cliff Bordwell to be a super light weight version of the Pedulla, kinda crossed with a Peavey Cirrus. Mine has high/low mid controls, which adds a little more flexibility and who can argue with a 7.5lb bass?

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    This is so true.
    [ve owned two Pedulla's.
    Both were great basses.
    But lost when selling or trading.

They can be heavy.
    And finish on neck can be sticky.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Happened to me the other day at Sam Ash! I couldn't afford it either, but I found a way to make it happen. Had to sell three basses, but I got it. Pedulla Thunderbass #6387

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yep. Pentabuzz = amazing bass, Grace.

9. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Had an all maple Thunderbuzz sixer a few years back and it still holds as the best fretless I have ever played compared to Modulus, Zon, and more generic basses. Don't get why the resale is so crappy but as was stated before it's great if you want to save a couple thousand.

10. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    just listen too the Eagles perform the live version on boys of summer by don henley. Timothy B Schmidt uses a pedulla buzz bass on that song for the the fretless bass line and it sounds killer. Nice and MMwuuahhh sounding and just growls and is so focused sounding. Awesome check it out if you have the live DVD.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Next to Ken Smith, Pedulla basses are some of the best made instruments here. The Pedulla fretless is the flagship of the company and worth every penny. I own neither of the basses I mention. I do appreciate their quality.

G

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Probably the only fretless out there that has better market value than it's fretted version. It's a great bass, indeed.

13. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I once had a bass teacher who used a neck-thru Peavey bass that he said had been customized by Pedulla. They Jaco-fied the neck and installed a couple of passive Bartolini pickups. I played it a little and it was great.

14. Ha, that's a very odd fact indeed!