1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I saw Les Claypool for the first time last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sublime0bass, Mar 2, 2008.

1. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    @ the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC. With the Fancy Band save for Miss Lala

well i wish i could say something insightful or meaningful, but my mind is still pretty much in a state of disrepair.

best musicians I have seen in a long time. Also +1 on the opening act, the Secret Chiefs 3

ps, my musical life is changed forever

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm not sure Les is Human. I saw Primus on an early tour in the Late 80's & knew that their was a new King in town. I wish he would put out a DVD or something on his techniques - I quess it would be two weeks long.

3. I wish that Secret Cheifs 3 were opening in San Francisco. I saw them twice last year and they were incedible.

4. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    I remember when I didn't know he was in my area and people that knew I liked Primus started asking me AFTER THE PERFORMANCE "so, did you see Les Claypool live? I heard it was good."
    :eek: :spit: :mad: :scowl: :( :bawl:

5. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    they used to play at the haight street fair in SF all the time, Les is one of those guys that has tonnes of individuality in has playing and some technical mojo to boot. ie its really hard to confuse him with someone else.

Tim Alexander, former Primus drummer is in an great band now, Into the Presence, totally different kind of music, classic rock based for a lack of a better term, very compelling stuff, fronted buy one of the best singer songwriters around.

6. i saw them here in Atlanta last year and hes gonna be here again tuseday!!...but i dont have any money to buy tickets D:

but yes Les is great musician and it was a GREAT show wish i could go again

7. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Yeah, I had no idea he was coming through here. I REALLY wanna go see him in Atlanta, but it's friggin $27!!! I haven't seen him live since '00...so maybe I'll splurge a little and check the show out.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

$27?!? I wish shows were that cheap over here! between £20-£30 isn't uncommon for a gig and my brothers just paid £50 to see radiohead!

9. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Radiohead charges much more because they do larger venues, and can tend to get that kind of cash out of the chumps that like them

$30 for that show was half of what I would have paid, having seen it

10. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    im seeing les tommorow in ATL. it shall be a Fancy occasion

11. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    I saw Les at a festival this summer, and he was amazing. played 1/4-1/2 the set alone, then joined by drummer and sax from Ratdog and bob weir came out for the last song. hope to see him again sometime :D

12. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    The last few shows I've seen were all under $20, and those were for 4-5 bands. I think I've seen Les four tiems now...I dunno if it's worth the $27 plus a tank of gas to drive all the way to ATL to see him again. If I wasn't a poor student I probably wouldn't hesitate to go!

13. I'd say splurge go when i went last year it was an amazing show

14. Ah, Les. A good drummer as well!
    Josh

15. jeez try to get into a show around NYC for until $50 a ticket

16. You just brought on a flashback!! I also saw Primus at the Haight street fair in the late-80's/early 90's (it gets kind of foggy...). I heard them a couple of times on KUSF (local college radio), and just happend by them that day at the fair. Pretty awesome show.:)

17. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    hah more 80s/90s sf flashback...

me & my best (bassist) friend just moved to SF at the end
    of 89, one of the first shows we went to was Primus at
    the I-Beam on Haight St.

I forgot who the opening band was, but they got the
    typical SF reception: arms folded, everyone was like
    "yea whatever"... then primus took the stage, and there
    was a mad rush of everyone up to the front, and the whole
    crowd just started jumpin up & down like crazy. I saw Les
    play & my jaw just dropped, he was so good & the band
    was so tight...

We both thought we were pretty good bassists (as most
    21 year olds do), but after that show we looked at each
    other "OMG, is that what every band in SF is like? We are
    in deep #($)@!!"

I saw them a bunch more over the next few years - new
    years eve shows at the nightbreak with Disposable Heroes
    of Hiphopracy opening, a few shows at the warfield, but
    dam that show at the i-beam blew me away.

-carl

ps talking of the haight st fair, i played there in 90 with my
    band, we just set up on a side street with a generator & started
    playing (3 piece jam music)... the next year we did the same
    thing with another band but were shut down by the cops, the
    3rd year we showed up & the police said "you put one piece
    of gear on the ground & you are all going to jail", so that was
    the end of the pirate playing at haight st. fair...

18. I thought I'd add to this thread because i now can understand what it means to see les claypool live in concert.

I saw him on 4/5/08 at the warfield in san fransisco. He was simply amazing. He wore a few masks, one was a pig mask, the other was a elvis mask, and not to mention the crazy instruments he played besides his normal carl thompson and electric cello. He played a big stick with a lever on the end and when he pulled it the string would tighten and loosen. It looked like a pogo stick but he managed to make music from it. Other than that i was excite to hear John the fisherman and southbound pachyderm. this was NOT primus but just les claypool and various artists on stage. His backup band consisted of a outstanding drummer and a percussionist and a Saxophone player that could make his sax sound like a guitar somehow.

AMAZING show. and Les claypool's last show for this tour.

19. gr8fulhiker

gr8fulhiker

Mar 24, 2008