Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I was hanging with Matt, Steve and Nick...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 6, 2005.

1. - Garrison, Lawson and Fyffe that is. What a great weekend - played a wicked gig myself on Friday, then hung out with Matt and Nick before Matt destroyed the set with Gary Husband at Ronnie Scott's, I was alongside the most excellent Mr Lawson - and one thing we all agreed on - aside from Matt - was that Mr Garrison is probably one of THE finest musicians playing bass in the world right now - and as for his chops they are quite stupendously ridiculous - BUT - in an extremely musical way.

If any of you New York cats have the chace - keep your eyes peeled for Matt's surround-sound solo debut at the only venue in NYC to have a full quadraphonic sound-system - it's called The Monkey - and he's aiming to do something there quite soon - and it will be utterly, utterly sick! Please go and support what he's doing, (that goes for any other bass player you know) - he is at the cutting edge of this stuff and we have strength in numbers - so tell your friends...

Cheers

Mike

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Am very, very jealous! ;)

3. Sorry man - just had to share - it was a lot of fun :)...

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm seeing Gary Husband on Monday night I can't wait to see Matt Garrison in action.

But just for the record I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

;)

5. Soak that music up man - it's amazing - Matt's tone is outrageous - the guy's a diamond - but he's also just a stupidly good player - utterly inspiring

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Did he have any of his solo cd/dvd's there I want to pick up some of gary husbands stuff but really need to get some Matt Garrison stuff so need to know how much money to take with me.

Cheers

7. Hi T,

Yeah I think he's got his latest CD and DVD plus the Gary Husband DVD is great - I got my review copy through and it's very good as well - I think 50 quid should cover that lot - I know it's a fair bit of dosh but the music is really great.

M

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm jealous :(

i would just die to see matt live!

BTW, i got a ramp now!!! :D

9. Wicked dude;)

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    For those who don't know there is a Matt Garrison interview in Guitar World's Bass Guitar this month.

Damn I was hoping 50 quid would be to oh well I might just get the DVD of both.

Thanks for the info Urb oh and were you allowed to take camera's

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Urb, Iv'e heard your mp3's and I've heard Adrian Garcia's , and I've realized I'm just a dweeb not worthy, not worthy...........

12. Believe me dude - next to cats like Matt Garrison and his ilk I feel the same - it's a humbling experience to realise just how deep his musicianship goes - it's quite frightening to be honest.

M

13. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I saw the band at Ronnie Scotts last thursday.

Saw only the first stuff, but it was great anyway. I have to say I didn't really like the slow, orchestrated stuff, when Gary Husband was on the piano or directing... kinda boring if you ask me. :meh:

But OTOH, when Mr. Husband was hitting the drums, the music was killing! Matt Garrison is a monster player... I think that night he had the most beautiful live tone I ever heard out of a bass. His chops are amazing and he has incredible groove. I need to check out more of his stuff!

I wanted to buy a DVD after the show, but I found the 30 quids price tag a bit too expensive! :bag:

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you must PLEASE go back and remove my name from this thread-
    i mean, to mention me and Matt Garrison in the same thread is absolute sacrilege! Matt Garrison is a phenomenal player in an entirely different league!

but i do appreciate the comment! :)

15. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure that was an inspiring night - so what's Nick Fyffe doing now that he's out of J-Quai? I heard he's teaching at a music school?

16. Nick does a litttle 'teaching' - though he admits he's not much of an example compared to some - but he's a top man and has a tonne of experience inside the industry at the highest level - so hats off to him there. He's also working on his own stuff, funky self-produced things, he plays guitar and drums as well - plus he's sessioning with a UK dance act called Shapeshifter's - they had a hit called 'Lola's Theme' last year - and the new single features a 'live' bass line from Nick - I haven't heard it yet but I'm sure it's cool, he did also dish the dirt on the darker days of hanging out with JayKay but I am sworn to secrecy...

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    How did you get to know these cats?

18. Through my job as a music journo - Nick just turned up as he's friends with Matt -(they hung out in NYC after Nick split from J-Quai) - top guys both of them.
    And if you haven't already read it - I did this with Matt:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142134

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Dang Mike... I'm too jealous! that must have been sweet!

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    indeed, you can never have too much connections ;)

Really, knowing people can give your own carreer a lift :)