1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm evacuating for Gustav...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClydeMcAllister, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ...and between my dad and I, there are 15 basses/guitars in my house. I only have room for one, and I'm not sure if my dad is bringing any at all. They'll be in the house with no A/C for a few days at the least, and I have no idea how the heat (humidity?) will affect them. Any advice on what we could do to protect our instruments?

I'm not worried about the water so much as them being left in the heat. After Katrina our house was raised about 8 feet, so if the water gets that high I think I'll have more important things to worry about than our gear, you dig?

Oh BTW, anyone else leaving?

2. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Just be sure that they are all in the cases. You should be fine. The temp will not get any worse than it would if you were playing an outdoor gig.

Oh, and just in case; be sure to place your gear as high up as possible.

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    best of luck to you, they should be ok as logn as they are encased.

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I don't want to state the obvious, but you really shouldn't advertise any of these facts to anyone. You should delete this thread ASAP.
    As for your basses,
    I used to live in a flood prone area of Illinois and I'm a bit of a flood expert so to speak. Get some HEAVY duty garbage bags and wrap your basses in them, multi-layer the bags if you can. One bag over the other and then duct tape the crap out of them. Then move your basses to the highest point that you can.
    Just watching out for the better interests of a fellow TB'r.
    GOOD LUCK!

5. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I have to agree with Mike on this one.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Anyone up for some looting? I know a really sweet spot! :D

(Just joking with ya, Clyde!)

7. My G&L stayed for Katrina. No AC for about 2 weeks. G&L was kind enough to inspect it for me and set it up. no issues.

Mike

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    U-Haul.

9. I'm not sure I would cover your basses with plastic bags. If you are not worried about water damage(you say your 8 ft up) putting them in plastic bags would trap any moisture that got in. If you had to evacuate for any length of time they might be more damaged than just leaving them in their cases. It is a tough call, but I live in a humid southern climate too(Central Florida) and I would hesitate to wrap any of my equipment in plastic bags unless I knew I could get to them fairly quickly.

10. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I am, too. Two dogs, two cats, and a bunch of important stuff all crammed into a Honda Civic Hatchback. :oops:

11. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I stuffed two basses and one tele, plus a .22 rifle, into an acoustic gig bag. I took all the necks off and broke them down. :ninja:

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Put them in their cases and move them somewhere high up. For the love of God do NOT wrap them in plastic bags; stopping air circulation is a huge gamble you don't want to risk. You may have to readjust the truss rods when you get back, but it's a minor inconvenience. You can and should wrap your amp, pedals, etc. in plastic, though.

Despite going to OU my family lives in Houston, so I may be having some company in the next couple days....

13. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Good luck everyone who is leaving for Gustav!

EDIT: Duh me - and good luck to those who aren't leaving...

14. dela217

dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I'm not going anywhere!

I left for Katrina and it was a mistake. Because I was gone so long my house was infested with mold. My brother stayed and was able to dry his house out right away with little issues.

When I left for Katrina, I brought my 2 favorite Alembic basses with me. I left behind a few other Alembics, a Rick Turner Model 1, a Hyak bass and all of my other belongings.

It ALL got wet.

After spending the last 3 years working on this house myself, I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. Locking the doors and leaving litterally makes me sick.

I am an adult and know the consequences of staying. I know I am on my own. That's how I feel and that's that.

Good luck everyone.

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Good luck you guys, may you and your families, and your gear, stay safe.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Lets roll :)

17. What a mess

What a mess

Aug 20, 2008
    Valdosta Ga.
    I do some voulenteer work with the Red Cross wife and I saw several families that had big trees fall on their houses during Fay really freaky.

When in doubt get out.

Several cars were swept away trying to drive across flooded creeks.

Turn around don't drown.

18. Thanks for the response guys,

I had figured putting them in their cases would suffice. Problem is, I don't think we have enough cases for every instrument (bad call on our part.).

Hopfully my dad decides to take his pickup along when we go. Then we'd have room for the instruments without cases and those that stay behind will be as high up in this house as possible.

Good luck to everyone who may be in this things way. hate to see this happen again, but whaddygonnadoaboutit?

19. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    As of right now, I'm debating whether to leave the city or not. I live in Uptown New Orleans, potentially in a rather low flooding area by the Mississippi river. I'll be tuning in all day tommorow to the news and making my decision then as whether to leave or not. I 'm bringing a few antiques, paperwork, pictures, paintings and clothes as well as 5 bass guitars and an EUB. Plus my dog and maybe my girlfriend and her stuff if she decides to leave her car. I would say bring as much as you can or as much that means something to you. I mean, playing music 5 nights a week is a huge part of my life and these are the tools i use to do it. If not, keep em as high and dry as you possibly can. Best of luck to you.

20. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I've seen some basses and guitars shipped with packs of dessicant to absorb excess moisture (from humidity) inside of the case, usually in the accessories compartment. You might want to see if your local hardware store has some. Wish you and everyone else in the area good luck. Stay safe!