1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my new Ampeg SVT-VR arrives...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Pelican, May 6, 2010.

1. I sure hope the TalkBass filter is up to snuff...

I go over to pick up my package. The boxes were roughed up but I thought nothing of it. I took it home and opened it. It was a box inside of a box. There were loads of loads of cardboard and whatnot. It was in a plastic bag, packed with the packing peanuts.

You can tell it was packed thoroughly. You don't just chuck one of these in a mail and forget about it. I get it out of the box, and it's in a custom soft shell case. I take it off and my heart skipped a beat. No, I am not being sarcastic. This is the third or fourth time my heart has actually stopped in my life.

Jaw. Meet floor. Please enjoy your stay.

This thing was ****ing dropped! I mean, it looks like it came right out of someone's hands onto the ground. Top up. This amp is ****ed.

At first I thought it was just the side panels. They were cracked from front to back. I was going to file a claim with UPS, have them reimburse me, and pay to get it fixed. Then I look more...

... the back panel (metal grating) covering the tubes is bent to pieces. It's cracked on the sides from where it came apart. Even the front panel by the logo is coming off. I can see through the left hand side of the amp. That's how far it's separated.

This is blowing my ****ing my mind. I had to go outside and cool off. My heart is pounding at an excessive rate and I think I'm going to puke...

I got in touch with UPS, as well as the original seller (who did put insurance on it). He is already filing the claim. If UPS is at fault, they will reimburse me. $1,300 (rounded) for the amp. $200 for shipping. $276 for customs/brokerage.

I ran without an amp for a week before this arrived. When this shows up, I have to wait to find out whether or not UPS is at fault (which they clearly are). Then I'll have to go for a while they finally reimburse me, then try to get another one.

It's going to be a while until I hear my basses again...

Expect pictures soon...

2. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    that is absolutely terrible. Id be soooo mad

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    :atoz:

4. Man I hate to hear that. I have had to file one claim ever...knock on wood and they took care of it...I think it was UPS. It wasn't a fun experience but hopefully you will be up and running before you know it!!

Good luck.

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    All that damage internally...what did the exterior boxes look like?

6. It looked like a typical UPS delivery. The outside box was a little rough around the edges. I thought it was just because the inside box was a little smaller. The outside box would get a little roughed up from picking it up and such. I did not expect to open and see this.

When I upload these pictures, it'll be evident UPS is at fault here.

I have no idea when I'll be able to get another one. I sure as hell hope they can investigate this soon and reimburse me. I would like to have an amp to play through...

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    That has to make you sick. Take Pictures right away.

8. 20p8r9x.

This corner is a little more torn from me:
    erzes4.

23k7lm0.

b6rk39.

9. It was well packed... and ensured, like I said.

Here's the damage... PLEASE DO NOT VIEW THIS IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH!

w9y0sg.

wwkok8.

10p68aq.

2yyqu7k.

22hp8y.

1z55j0l.

260efwj.

2w2pnqg.

v58fo7.

hrepgl.

10. I really hope they'll give you money back or a new one.

11. I hope they sort this out asap. Man I'm gutted for you :(

12. That's some brutal damage.
    Goos Luck with your claim.

13. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    So that was a brand spanking new Blue-Line?

14. I saw your disclaimer and I still threw up.:rollno:

15. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Salvage the tubes!

16. Evolver

Evolver

Feb 13, 2007
    North Central PA
    That's terrible... Hope the situation is taken care of quickly.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I wouldn't consider that 'well packed'.

18. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I'm sorry man.....that is heartbreaking.

You're a very understanding person.....I look at those pics and I think you're giving the seller way to much of a pass.

The box was clearly handled in an awful negligible way by UPS...no doubt, they are the main culprits here...that said, as someone who has bought and sold many an amp on the bay.

I don't feel it was packed well enough..although the way that box looked, I dunno maybe it was unavoidable....but it could have been packed better and smarter. It should have at least been covered with stickers or scrawled by a marker that said "FRAGILE" all over it.

Take heart, be patient, get your money back and get another one. I feel your pain.... I've been through a couple of similiar situations.

19. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    wow...UPS really needs to take better care of thier packages!

20. The amp was used (roughly a year old). I saw plenty of pictures before it was shipped.

It's 9:45 and I'm in bed. I'm just... I don't even know what to say. If I somehow "lose" and UPS says the shipper is at fault, **** will explode everywhere. Volcanoes will erupt, tsunamis will flow, mud will slide, and the earth will quake.

I will call it... two days before the day after tomorrow.