So, under the tree this year, I got a teacher...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by canopener, Dec 31, 2003.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Well not exactly, while my father was checking out amps, he got ran into a dude that does lessons and got me 4 of them. I've been self-taught so far...

I've got a decent music theory foundation already, basic scales, chord structures, blues progressions, etc, and a very basic understanding of bass clef. I'm gonna wait until the rush of the holidays are over to call the guy, so I just thought I'd ask your opinions where I should start with the guy. I'd like to get into chordal studies, but it would probably be best for me to get my technique down, as well. What do ya think?
  2. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    It depends on what the guy has to give, but you might just have him listen to you play. He might hear things that you don't notice. You can learn about chords and scales on your own, but it's hard to critique your own playing sometimes.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I had already been playing for a while when I got an instructor, but getting one helped me sooooooo much! He's been playing bass for 24 years! Guitar for 19!
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I had my first lesson today. My new teacher took my bass and adjusted the truss rod and action...what a difference that really makes (for the life of the bass, too)!

Anyway, I explained to him that I wanted to learn stuff through chord progressions, etc. and he showed me the pentatonic scale, something I really didn't worry about before. He got the most out of a half hour lesson showing me this stuff...I know I've seen this kinda thing before, but having somebody else show me was a great help, I'm looking forward to my next lesson! He didn't have a bass, but he has a great knowledge of music, and next time he'd have me playing along with a drum machine and him on an acoustic guitar..