1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So what had happened was...Rickenbacker content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JZQuantum, May 22, 2020.

1. Yes, certifiably so

334 vote(s)
    80.1%
  2. No, you did the right thing

47 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. The answer is always Fender

5 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Miata is always the answer

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Carrots

14 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Carrot cake and eat it too

27 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    My 5th wedding anniversary was earlier this year. It's the wood anniversary for those keeping notes.

Anyways, my wife bought me a brand new Rickenbacker from MF. She didn't know which basses are good or bad, so she googled it and Ricks came up then she ordered one.

She wanted it to arrive on our day, but was told it is a special order, and due to the COVID-19 it wasn't going to arrive until December.

Well the bass obviously wasn't going to be ready in time to hit our anniversary, so my wife's plan was to tell me about it on our anniversary and then I'd wait for it to arrive.

So I told her, no that's ok I don't like the looks of Ricks and you can give me the money instead and I'll put it towards a nice rack EQ I have my eye on (I'm trying to get my freelance mixing and mastering gigs off the ground).

She was disappointed in that decision a little bit, but honestly I have all the basses I need and no GAS for basses right now. I'm a Leo guy anyway...p bass, j bass and musicman right now.

So am I nuts for turning down a brand new Rick?

2. Recon1342

Recon1342

May 18, 2020
    Southern Idaho
    Yes.

3. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I bet your wife was super excited that she had come up with such a great idea for your 5th anniversary.
    I'm thinking you probably should have loved it (at least for a while) and they maybe down the road "thinned the herd" so to speak.

Roffa, Geddaric, dSay and 65 others like this.
  4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    No.

(Although it's about 50 years since I played one but it just didn't feel right. Next I tried a P and after a few minutes playing bought it, and still have it.)

Angus Walker and FunkHead like this.
  5. Take the Ric graciously. Or it will mess up you sex life forever...:laugh:

6. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    That in my opinion was a terrible decision by yourself. For a start off you should accept any present given to you, and you should not reject a present just because you didn't want it. Jeez if that was the case I would have returned a large number of my presents over the years. I bet that made your wife feel terrible and if you want to reach another anniversary I would change the way you think and act.

lazycat93, bobyoung53, TH63 and 52 others like this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Umm... Yes?

But for other reasons. Your wife took the time to research something you love, and came up with, IMO, a very appropriate and thoughtful gift.

The response, well... "Nah! Gimme the money!" I can see where she was disappointed.

Roffa, lazycat93, bobyoung53 and 60 others like this.
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hey, there’s always Rosey Palm and her 5 sisters.

9. I’d keep it. Your wife went to great lengths to research and buy it for you. That’s incredibly thoughtful of her. I’d be blown away if my
    lovely wife went to extent to buy me an anniversary gift.

Plus it’s a Ric, you may learn to break free from Leo and learn to like it.

Roffa, bobyoung53, Ed Bloom and 27 others like this.
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Not that I could possibly care any less, but if you have to ask marriage advice on a bass website...

11. Tommy Tryhard

Tommy Tryhard

Feb 3, 2019
    Absolutely

bobyoung53 and dkelley like this.
  12. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    While I have a love/hate relationship with Rics (I used to love them until I owned one, now I hate them), this is really about your wife being thoughtful and trying to make you happy. You should be delighted to get such an expensive gift. My wife is great, but if she tried to buy me something bass related, it wouldn't be as expensive as a Ric, and it might end up not even being exactly bass related. Still, I'd appreciate the effort.

MarkJC8, TH63, JohnnyPustular and 7 others like this.
  13. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    If it was not an S, I would have waited!

(Only for the stereo option.)

14. Tommy Tryhard

Tommy Tryhard

Feb 3, 2019
    Absolutely

15. howardf

howardf

Jan 28, 2020
    Take it from a guy who's been with the same lady for 20 years, accept gifts with a huge smile. My wife could give me a glazed dog turd, and I would act like it was my favorite thing ever. Don't sell it later, or act like it disappeared either. Even if you hate it, hang it on the wall and proudly display it. She did her research and dropped a significant amount of dough on something she thought you'd love, so love it, or do a convincing job of pretending to love it. If she notices you never touch it, say something like "these basses are known for ergonomic issues, but I still love it for what it represents." Luckily for me, my wife has hit the mark every time she has done her homework to buy me something, but even if she was WAY off, I wouldn't ever tell her.

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'd consider yourself pretty lucky to have such a thoughtful and considerate wife. My wife gave me this...

m_59e2d61f9c6fcfdbc604e3db.jpg

... on Saint Patrick's day... because it's green. I'm not crying because she was so thoughtful...

... I'm crying, because I have to wear it.

bassboysam, Erable, Shaggai and 43 others like this.
  17. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    No, you're nuts for turning down your wife's loving thoughts.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    FYI, they don't flush well, either...

... I know a lot of plumbers.

jamro217 and kobass like this.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If you want to stay married, yes.

20. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Have to say if it was a business partner offering a new Ric I could maybe understand your reply. A friend or even WORSE an S.O? Bad, bad form. Bet that's the last time something really cool like that comes to you from her. She wasn't investing in your music career. She was investing in her relationship with you. You taught her a lesson....