Sold my American Standard Precision before the new bass arrived...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    ...and hope I didnt make a mistake!

Don't get me wrong, the American Standard I had was (is) a great bass. Classic looks with the 3TSB and tort with rosewood, was PLEK'd and played like a dream and sounded great with the PV'63 pickup that I put in it. So why the heck did I sell it? And what bass did I sell it for? Why didnt I just keep both?!

Well, I'm pretty much a two-bass guy right now (other bass is a surprisingly sweet '08 MIM Classic 70's Jazz). I recently parted with a Classic 50's that I shouldn't have sold, and that bass has been haunting me since I sold it, and as a result the other day got a great deal on a brand new Classic 50's Lacquer that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've had two Classic 50's non-lacquer P's since 2013 and both were stellar. I just decided to hold on to the American Standard because of the psychology of owning a USA made Fender, but after selling the Classic 50's I found wishing I wold have sold the American Standard instead.

Again, nothing wrong with the American Standard at all, but I've come to the conclusion that there's just something different/special about the Precisions I've played with the wider 1.75" nut width. Yes, there are plenty of other factors that contribute to the basses overall character and tone, but the wider nut does seem to impart something that I have found consistent with all other Precisions I've played with that wide nut. I'm also not a believer that a high mass bridge "improves" the sound of a bass. And add to that even though the 2008 American Standard I just sold was flawless in craftsmanship, fit and finish, most of the higher end/Classic Series MIM's are just as good and right up there in quality.

I had this discovery as well with my Telecasters, owning a 52AVRI Tele and a MIM Classic 50's Tele, and ended up keeping the Classic 50's Tele because the Classic 50's actually sounded better to my ears.

The only catch is I haven't put my hands on this particular classic 50's yet as its supposed to arrive tomorrow. Kind of jumped the gun on that one by listing the American Standard over the weekend, not expecting to see it so fast and for what I was asking for it, but got several emails almost immediately and one person was very interested and gave me my asking price so I couldn't refuse!

So finger's crossed this Classic 50's lacquer will be a keeper!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm impressed with the decisiveness. I tend to be a one-bass-at-a-time kind of guy (have three but that may go back to two). Indecisiveness is how guys end up with a room full of bass guitars they never play.

How are you supposed to tie into what the instrument has to offer if you don't commit to it. Think it's a good move, myself.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    How about playing the new bass for a week, then selling the bass you least like? Could have sold the Standard the 1st time that way.

Good luck on NBD

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Vinnie :)

Next time, just ask before selling! :laugh:

fingerscrossed.gif

you got the price you asked for your P, consider that as a good omen! :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

5. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Wait, you sold an American P and replaced it with MIM J? Hopefully you end up with a pile-o-cash and the J when all is said and done.

Good for you. I'm seriously considering selling my P in favor of a less costly fretless and I'm already kicking myself for being so stupid, but I don't need 3 basses so selling one to get another seems to be the right thing to do. ???

saabfender likes this.
  6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Yeah, I should have sold the American Standard instead of the Classic 50's initially, but live and learn, right? At least I sold the American Standard for a few bucks more than I paid for the new Classic 50's Lacquer, and now I know I just prefer the neck profile and wider nut on the Classic 50's P's along with the vintage appointments compared to a more modern-appointed Fender, and have the desire or need to shell out for an AVRI, so the Classic Series fits the bill. Now it's just about finding a nice example of one, which doesn't seem too difficult a thing to do. If the one's that's supposed to arrive tomorrow is a dud, I'll just send it back and order another one.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    No, I already have a REALLY nice '08 Classic 70's MIM Jazz. I sold the American Standard P and replaced it with a Classic 50's Lacquer P.

I could have kept the American Standard AND the Classic 50's Lacquer AND the Classic 70's Jazz, but these days I'm just fine with two basses, and in all honesty miss the Classic 50's neck specs and prefer them over the American Standard neck. I have GHS Boomers on the Jazz, and will put a set of La Bella 760FL's on the Classic 50's Lacquer.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    n1as likes this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    One rule I've stuck to so far. . . . always buy the next bass before you sell the last one.

That way, with the overlap, makes it more difficult to sell a bass by mistake and regret it.

9. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    So you learned from the experience, & made a profit? Not bad!

saabfender and Vinnie Boombatz like this.