1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solder help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CactusBass, May 9, 2010.

1. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure if this is the right place Looking to solder
    a wire back on a pedal and pickups into my
    bass. Going to radioshack what do I need.
    What kind of solder. Etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Have you tried using the SEARCH function? There have been numerous threads that discuss soldering.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You need coreless solder and a soldering gun. Paste is nice to keep your tips clean too...

4. kuso

kuso

Feb 25, 2010
    Plymouth, MA
    If you've never soldered before, PLEASE buy a practice kit while at the Shack. Practice both PCB and free-form soldering techniques before you go ahead and try it on the actual project.

And Beej is right, coreless or rosin core solder and a soldering iron/gun. Irons are cheaper. A 35+ watt one will work fine. I personally like the smaller diameter solder. Paste is good too. Have a wet sponge handy to wipe the tip of the iron/gun with periodically. It's also a good idea to buy some de-soldering braid for when you mess up. Make sure you wear safety glasses, as the molten solder can splash sometimes.

5. Though there are many kinds to select from, a butane soldering iron will have unique benefits that other irons may not have.
    They are easily portable, have a excellent range of heat & are easy to refuel.

Micro Pad Repair Kit