1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solid Sound System for Bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rhaco, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Rhaco

Rhaco

May 22, 2019
    Hi all,
    I'm virtually positive this is in the wrong place, but I don't really see a "right one," so my apologies. Just let me know where it should be and I'll get it moved, but the area discussing recording sound seemed as good a bet as any.

I just got back to playing after an extended break (were talking decades, not years) and I'm trying to get some chops back by transcibing a few things. The issue is that in the last few years I've let my actual sound system fall apart. It reproduces ok bass, but not as well as what I want for painless transcription. What I'm trying to find is a reasonably priced (I know, subjective) speaker system with good bass.

As far as price is concerned, think Anker not Sonos, but I'm not trying to chince out, it doesn't have to be the dorm room special either. I just want something with true enough bass that I can accurately hear a higher bass fill or a weird B string rumble. For being a player, I don't consider myself much of an audiofile.

If you have a strategy you prefer to the typical sound system, by all means do share. Headphones weren't my favorite back in the day, but I've heard good things about some of the new open-backs. I have a guitarist friend who swears by using the line in on his Blackstar, but I've got a decent larger rig and I don't like how it handles a line in from a stereo; would something more boutique with some modeling capabilities like the bass version of the Blackstar be smart?

I'm lost here. If the answer is: "get over it, plunk down a grand and be happy it's not two," then so be it, but here's hoping someone around here has a budget fix.

As always, thanks in advance. This forum has been a godsend in helping me get going again.

2. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I find the Andrew Jones speakers to be the best for the money. I built the Bill Fitzmaurice speakers for my system, but found the Pioneer version of the AJ speakers to be fine. He now works for Elac. As far as headphones go, I have the AKG K701s for detailed listening, good separation hi fidelity, but when I got the Westone 3 driver IEM's, they changed my world for bass listening, I can hear details I never knew existed with those.

3. Rhaco

Rhaco

May 22, 2019
    awesome recommendation on the Andrew Jones speakers. That's exactly what I'm thinking of something where I can get 80 to 90% of the quality without taking those final steps beyond recreational gear.

4. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    I would just get some inexpensive but good studio monitors and maybe the matching sub if you really felt you needed one. Personally no sub for me, though. Never found a need and I play a lot on the low B.

Super cheap, great performance, much more useful than your typical home stereo equipment.

5. Rhaco

Rhaco

May 22, 2019
    Any brand/brands you're particularly fond of?

6. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    I have a pair of the Yamaha HS8. They do very well with bass, and with mixing and mastering, but I got a really good deal on them back when I bought them. If I had to buy them now at msrp I would go with the KRK Rockit 8 for a bit less. Both highly recommended, though.

7. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    No need to spend a bunch of money. There's a ton of used hi-fi gear on Craigslist, eBay, etc.. As long as you don't have to have it loud, just about anything will do.

8. Rhaco

Rhaco

May 22, 2019
    KRK Rockit might be the ticket. I found a place to give them a listen this weekend. They're right at the pricepoint my miserly little heart was holing for.
    Thanks!

9. Rhaco

Rhaco

May 22, 2019
    Love and appreciate that perspective. An awful lot of online gear discussions quickly morph into "well, you can get by for the cost of a used car, but if you really want to do it right, don't expect to keep it that reasonable."
    Thanks!

AGCurry likes this.