1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solid State head for metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maniacmetalhead, Mar 16, 2008.

1. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    Can you suggest anything good? I play in a thrash band with 2 loud guitarists.I want VOLUME so something around 1000 watt will do ti for me.Right now I play through a 60 watt laney combo.:help:

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First of all, you don't need 1k watts for anything unless you're playing stadiums.

Now, you obviously want a gritty tone if you're in a thrash band, so i'd suggest building a rack with a sansamp rbi in it and some sort of 400-500 watt power amp, and if you want loud, get an 810 cab of some sort.

3. how loud are two loud guitarists? Using 100 watt valve amps into two 4x12s each?

And you say 1000 watts, but using what? 1000 watts into a 1x10? 4x10? 8x10? 4x12? 2x15?

Speaker area is just as important as amp power.

Also, how much are you looking to spend?

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    GK 1001 RBII

5. sutarappa

sutarappa

Feb 26, 2007
    TX
    +1. i use the 1001 RBII through an ampeg 810e, and it's as loud as any amp you'll ever need through a single cab. it replaced my svt 2pro for my experimental grind band... much tighter low end (b standard), and better tone consistency.

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    always say things like you dont need 700-800-1000 watts unless you play stadiums. Well I see alota TBers using GBE & Kustom 1200 watt amps w/ 1-Neo212 or 1-410 cab and most with PA support in night clubs, bars, etc. Im not trying to rail or derail on this thread but please dont dismiss someones question when its posed this way and not follow with a positive suggestion. I get no PA support ever and I use GBE750 w/2-212T cabs and theres times where I feel I could use more umph in the amp. Though big wattage amps might be overkill for most folks here and most gigs as well. Even tho the OP may not know what he needs amp wise, I would think he would know what he experiences in his own band better than a replier.

So just asking for replies that are constructive because who knows we just might need 1000 watts at times. Thats unfortunate cause it prolly means we are way too loud at those times but y'all know that happens at gigs so at least allow for that. Thanks all. I post this cause I value the suggestions I get from TBers and look forward to replies that dont just dismiss me, we can all use some help now and then, thats why I come here for answers. Peace.

7. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    Not true. I want a clean tone with the least amount of distortion as possible. MAYBE he does but maybe not.

As for wattage, yeah 1000 watts won't hurt but it's more about how many speakers you're running. I'm dealing with that now. You see my rig in my sig BUT my 4/10 can't keep up with 2 raging guitarists. I'm currently waiting on a Genz Benz 6/10, I'll have the option of running both (1 on each side of the stage) because my head can run 2 ohms or just running the 6/10.

Someone else mentioned my initial thought. How much are you looking to spend? Another good question is how much can you carry? Obviously a Honda Civic won't carry an 8/10 so size will also be a consideration.

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    A lot of TB'ers are into overkill. They call it "headroom," but how much headroom do you need? 300-500 watts is more than the average TBer will ever want or need. For some reason or another, though, headroom seems to be one of these buzzwords on here that causes some bass players to think they need a 1200w amp to play "Mustang Sally" in a 100 seat bar.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Like driving a Ferrari for your morning commute. :rollno:

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Exactly!

11. I wouldnt word it like that, I'd think of it as being able to keep control over those pesky guitarists :p

12. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Damn I've been brainwashed by TB to think 300 watts isn't even enough to practice in a garage.

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Mohawk, LOL! Is that "controlling" or "fighting"? Sounds like Volume Wars to me, bro ;)

14. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    I play through an Amgeg B2R (350 watts 4ohms 275 at 8ohms) and despite what you may read here on TB the amp has been more then enough to play with 2 loud guitarist and a heavy handed drummer. That said I will be upgrading to a Traynor YBA 200 because you just can't beat that all tube crunch. The Ampeg has served me well no complaints here.

Mark

15. You do, because of all of the heifers that get out on the dance floor during that song, soaking up all the sound... :D

16. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    someone earlier said the rbi. i think it would be good. if you like your tone nice and bright its the way to go.

what kind of tones do you usually go for?

and depending on what cabs or cab you get 1000 watts will be fine people do go over the top with headroom but if you are running an 810 1000 watts isnt THAT much headorom.

17. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I'd get the RPM over the RBI. More versatility, to be sure.

18. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    I have around 2000 euros right now, but I cant carry an 8x10 around easily.Even though I play in a thrash to me distortion is just annoying, I always prefer a clean sound,with much treble.

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If I played metal, I'd have an Aguilar.

20. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Hahaha