Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Bass Resources.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Feb 7, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Hello,
    I don't play in a band nor do I care to. However, I would like to perform. I mostly play intricate bass lines already but want to venture off into complete bass solo pieces. Besides Bach and Visctor Wooten (Manring is a little to outter spcae for my tastes) what are some other solo bass pieces to learn? Are there any books out there with solo bass songs? I know you can play anything on bass but when they are specific towards the bass clef they sound better to my ears and being able to hear the song how it is supposed to be played is important.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Steve Lawson had a website linked a while back, I bet he chimes in any minute. It had a TON of info for the solo bassist.

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    How's it going Blisshead.
    I am from Amherst and now live in Raleigh.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    www.solobassnetwork.org.uk - is basically a portal to the sites of lots of solo bass players, many of which have interviews with them on them, and some have transcriptions.

The best intro to playing solo is getting into the heads of the people whose music works for you - the notes are in some ways the easy bit, it's finding a conceptual entry point that is more tricky. I've found that I've learnt far more about the whole idea of playing bass solo from reading about how and why people do it than I have from reading scores of what they did. In fact, I don't think I've ever played anyone else's version of anything note for note... no, that's a lie, I did Terry Gregory's arrangement of 'Autumn Leaves' for a while... :)

So head over to the solo bass network, sign up for the mailing list and ask a question or two, or ask some stuff in the ask the pros forum that Michael Manring and I host, or if you want to get really specific, you can try the forum on my site! :)

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    -not bad, I'm in Western MA for a while now, just bought a house. How's Raleigh coming from Amherst?

6. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Raleigh from Amherst bites!

I really miss the north east. Being a Red Sox fan nothing is worse than continually being referred to as a Yankee.

Anyway, I am looking for a loop machine and read your review on the Boss RC-20. What is your feeling of that unit now? Where did you purchase it from? Last question - what are some good solo pieces to work on to build a set list with? I am working on a couple bach pieces, the Munsters theme song but what else sounds cool on bass? I have just recently tired of playing straight bass lines and am transitioning into solo pieces.

7. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    sorry but couldnt help but chuckle at the transition form bach to the munsters theme

8. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for info - great site. Fantastic work.

Have you recorded Autumn Leaves? I'd love to hear your version.

Thanks

I am looking for songs to learn/add to a set list. Any suggestions for begining solo bass?

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Cool! I think the word is juxtaposition.

If played in the right key (bach). The musters theme sounds pretty cool after Bouree.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    :D Ouch....Yankee! ;)

I still really like the RC-20. Ever try playing the Star Trek theme solo? Sounds kind of cool. I really can't remember where I bought it, maybe ZZounds?

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Dont know if this would help or not but I like to tap out songs from tv cartoons and movies on a six string. Im currently working on "Linus and Lucey" from Peanuts.