Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo type bowed strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Jan 20, 2004.

1. I have a all state audition coming up and i dont want to do a solo with Thomastik Dominants (while theyre great for heavy orchestra stuff , too heavy and sometimes scratchy (tension). anyone have a good recommendation . I'm thinking about
    *pirastro--obligatos or permanents
    *d'addario--helicore orch. med , lite *or corellis

Help...

2. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I might stay away from the Obligatos, because on another post it was mentioned they take a long time to break in, like 4 weeks. I'm not a big fan of the Helicore Hybrids, because the A and E just don't respond for me either arco or pizz. But the Helicore Orchestras are suposed to arco like a dream and the Helicores in general stay in tune very well. Currently I am playing on Eudoxas and LOVE THEM!

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Having used both Eudoxas and Obligatos, I would disagree that Obligatos take a long time to break in. I found they took less than a week before tuning was very stable and the harshness had worn off. To hurry it along, take a cloth and build up heat by using friction by rubbing down the strings fast. Seems to help with brighter strings, but I never had to do that with those (Used to do it with Spiros).

The Eudoxas are the superior string, IMHO. I borrowed my old Juzek this week while my Solano is getting the tailpiece raiser removed, and the Eudoxas that are about 2 years old still sound terrific. I'm having my luthier replace the 6 month old Obligatos. They are starting to roll really band and the winding is pulling apart, despite being under humidity. The G string is starting to get a little strident as well.

Monte

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    MP, it all depends where you're at, arco-wise.
    First is it really SOLO (ie: A E B F#) or ORCHESTRAL (ie: regular tuning) strings that you want ?

Second, Obligato are nice sounding all around strings that settle-in fast (coupla days) and stay tuned even if you leave the window open. They are very (too much ?) forgiving re bow placement, and never scratchy.

Third, Eudoxa are wonderfuly sounding gut core strings with the usual caveat of this type of string: precise bow placement is required to get a good tone and they get out off tune with the slighter change of humidity in the room, so easily that this could become a nitemare in an audition...

IMHO Eudoxa are very interesting but need some setup adjustment are too unstable to be a safe choice for auditioning. Obligato is a smarter choice for that purpose.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i know of a serious classical dude who was using the solo tuning obligatos tuned down to orchestral pitch. he loved them and loved the bow response... you may want to try the same thing with the dominants. i hear they're kind of soft that way.

6. my bad.....already threw them out

7. ordered Corelli 370M G & D and Helicore arco med. E & A

will post findings when they get here...

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Can I please suggest you post the results in a new thread, so that we don't end up with four different threads repeating the same thing as we have now?
    Thanks in advance!
    François

9. No problem. I was actually planning on it.