Solution to combine Bass + Synth (keybass) into one output

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gigglingbuns, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    I'm looking for a solution (under $50) to combine a bass and a keybass into one output that will be sent to FOH. All while maintaining the signal quality (virtually no noise prefered). I'd be switching (being able to switch fast is also preferred) between both the bass and keybass, but not playing simultaneously.

I plan on getting a di with an eq/comp, (GK Plex or Eden WTDI), and I would only like to route the bass guitar through the di/eq/comp. The keybass (novation Bass station 2), and at the end of the chain it would all be run into another di box. Unless I can get a box can balance the inputs. There are so many options, I hope this can help someone narrow it down with me.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    how about something like this?
    Behringer XENYX 502 Stereo Mixer
    You'll need to be able to mix/blend your levels if you are sending one XLR to FOH.
    Like you said.. MANY options

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    I figured I could set my bass guitar level, then set keybass to match it, and it looks like a mixer has the best bang for the buck? How will the noise be with this setup?

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I can't speak to the noise floor for that particular device (it was more of an example than anything) but you will need to ensure you gain-stage your input levels, and to do that with multiple sources, requires some form of mixer and gain controls. Keep in mind.. you get what you pay for.
    You ain't going to get a whole lot for $50

SoCal80s likes this.
  5. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    It sounds like you're either going to be running two DIs or one DI with two inputs.

Either way it doesn't sound like you need a mixer or anything else to balance the signals.

Both instruments have volume controls. So you can just balance them at the instrument. And all DIs have volume controls so you can balance them there if you want to have two DIs.

It seems like a mixer or whatever you're thinking would just be extraneous and kind of a waste of money if all you want to do is balance and sum two signals. Maybe I didn't fully understand.

And you don't have to switch your instruments signal off when you're not playing them, and then back on when you want to play them. However you decide to do that is going to be slower than just leaving the signal path alone whether or not your using the instrument and just relying on the fact that your instrument does not produce a signal when you don't play it.

So just leave everything on, pick it up, and start playing. No switch needed, again unless there's something I'm missing here.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    How are you monitoring your bass and synth on stage?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Sorry.. no offense, but this statement is patently false.. some have pads, most typical DI's do NOT have "volume" controls. Most "pre-amp" pedals (mistakenly called DI's) DO have volume controls tho.
    Besides.. the OP wanted a single line out.

There are plenty of "stereo" or two-channel DI's out there that will do the job, but decent ones go for more than $50 and each input has a matching output. 2-in, 2 out!

SoCal80s, Dr_Benway, Wasnex and 2 others like this.
  8. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    None taken. I see now that I was mistaken.

Kubicki Fan, TheReceder and s0c9 like this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This was my first thought too. Is there an amp on stage? Used for bass and synth? No amp with bass and synth in the monitors? Are you short on channels and need both instruments in one only? There are several ways to do this, it really depends on the particulars of your band's setup.

10. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    How about a Boss LS-2 line selector? I’ve used it to switch between 2 instruments and level-adjust each. It’s only 1/4” inputs/outputs though...

Kerem Koseoglu, smogg and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That should work, chain the pedals for the bass in front of it, send it to a DI box, send the unbalanced out of the DI to an amp on stage if you want.

EDIT: it's not a sub-$50 solution though...

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

sounds to me like you want to 'mix' two signals (balance them against one another). i'm thinking you need something that "mixes" --- like a mixer! that would put the signals at one 'station'. s0c9 has you covered for $50 USD. why isn't that your solution?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I use a Saturnworks active summing pedal with my electric and upright to bounce the two signals down to one.

Stumbo likes this.
  14. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Amazing how many have replied to just the title and not read the OP's post.

These posts have so far been the best solution (IMO)

[​IMG]

If you don't need the level controls, then this would do for cheaper

[​IMG]

Or the Belcat ABS 520

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  15. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Unfortunately I can't have a bass amp on stage due to "stage noise", I'll be going through the PA subs, as for monitoring myself, there is an Aviom system (my headphone goes into that), and one of the channels are dedicated to bass, thus the need to combine both into one output.

At this point I'd like to note that I don't mind the ability to have both inputs always on, now that I think about it, switching in the middle of a song probably will happen. I apologize for any confusion that might have been caused. Additionally, mixing with the onboard controls of the bass + keybass should be sufficient. I don't mind going used either.

16. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I’ve solved this same problem a
    Couple different ways. First an Ampeg v4b with 2 inputs and separate volume controls. I could play either instrument or both at the same time. Obviously not ideal to share an EQ and one cabinet. Then I used a Mackie 5 channel mixer to my svt and finally settled on using PA type speakers just for my synth and my bass amp for the bass. The mixer was cool and generally noise free. For shows I just run the synth through a monitor and call it good.

17. plaidgoat

plaidgoat

Mar 30, 2012
    Oregon
    I use the radial bigshot i/o let's me balance input for my bass and novation. I have the old one that is passive.

Jeff Elkins, KJMO and pbass2 like this.
  18. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I do that right now. Probably the best solution for me was the first version of the tonebone bassbone (one just sold for 85.00 on this site). a/b switch, di, separate volume and eq. I used it with my bass and a korg monologue. Now I have to have FM synth sounds in addition to the analog sounds of the korg, so I need 3 channels.

It is really nice, if not necessary, to be able to switch because if both are active, the bass invariably gets knocked or stimulated and begins to make noise when you are playing keyboard. With a mixer, you could press the mute button, but a stomp is much better, for me at least.

Now I use a Morley ABC, which is ridiculously expensive for what it is, but there are 20.00 ab/y boxes that will work for two inputs. I don't know about the bass station, but the korg monologue has a main volume that affects the output volume, so that is where I match the volume between it and the bass guitar. I have an amp, so I send the output of the ABC to my amp, which has a good DI (which doesn't matter for you).

The ab/y box will switch between the two and send on the same output that can be sent to a one channel DI. The tonebone has all of this and more built in, and so for a used v1 at least, I think it is a much better value. It also has a effects send/return, where your preamp could live, unless I'm not thinking correctly.

19. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    bass amp simulator with aux in.. Or an audio summing pedal.

20. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    SW Connecticut
    I used a radial JDI to sum my signals when I ran keybass. I think the ProDI has the same function and you should be able to snag one for around $70. That extra $20 will buy you a product that will last you a lifetime