Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Bongo questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So i'm here to ask that dreaded question that will know doubt end in a flame war. :D

After reading some of the bongo threads, I taken a liking to this little beauty but there are a couple of things i'm unsure of (and it ain't the shape).

1. How much the piezo's add to the sound?

2. Are they worth getting for the cost?

3. Is the space between the front pickup and the fingerboard more or less than a rickenbacker? (ie I slap fine on my ric so this should be no problem right?)

4. How useful is a 4 Band Eq. This is purely because I'm stupid when it comes to eq. On my passive basses its easy turn tone up for more sparkle turn tone down for more thump. and on my 2 band ibanez I just turn up the treble to get more clarity.

5. Would this bass cover everything from playing in a loud two guitar rock band - bach with woodwind - pop bands

6. Finally this is more of a pro bassist question. Have you ever been turned down from live session or tour because of your instrument (ie it was bright yellow and a wierd shape).

Finally if the tone is everything I've heard it is I will really be looking to try one of these. My main problem is I don't know what colour to get it in (should it stand out of fit in). A minor thing especially from some one who plays a burgundy mist fender jazz :eek:

Thanks for any help anyone can give me :bassist:

2. ...........and does it "do" a good Stingray?

T.

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    #2: Well, a $1,100 sacrafice hurts some folks more than others, so that's up to you and what you're willing/able to spend on a bass. They're already starting to pop up used. A 5-string is on ebay now. Wait about another year and you'll be able to score a used one for $750-850 or less.

#4: VERY! I've never played a bass that lets you manipulate your sound to get as many usable tones as this bass. Of course, some folks will tell you that more knobs isn't a good thing. If you like tweaking your sound and/or desire versitility, this 4-band eq is revolutionary IMO.

#5: Absolutely. How? See #4.

#6: I think the only people that find this bass unusual looking are other bass players (for the most part). The average audience member that can't tell a Jazz from a Precision won't think a Bongo is freaky.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Sorry I worded question 2 wrong I didn't mean is the bongo worth the cash because I personally think they are. I meant are the piezo's worth the extra cash?

Sorry for any confusion

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    1. How much the piezo's add to the sound?

I haven't tried the Bongo with the piezo but did own a Stingray 5 with one. It was nice for noodling around at home but pretty much got lost in a live rock and roll environment.

2. Are they worth getting for the cost?

Not for me. If you play in a small acoustic group, it might be.

3. Is the space between the front pickup and the fingerboard more or less than a rickenbacker?

Haven't owned a Ric since 1980. Can't remember.

4. How useful is a 4 Band Eq?

I'm not a big knob twiddler either, but this setup is easy to use and intuitive so you're not always thinking, "What does THIS do?" The dual mid control is an extremely effective way to adjust the way you sit in the mix without increasing volume.

5. Would this bass cover everything from playing in a loud two guitar rock band - bach with woodwind - pop bands?

Yes. I have one strung with TI Flats for old school thump (mostly) but I also used DR Fat Beams for a while and lordy lordy, what an interesting experiment that was! String selection can really make or break a bass.

6. Finally this is more of a pro bassist question. Have you ever been turned down from live session or tour because of your instrument (ie it was bright yellow and a wierd shape).

I think the black Bongo I have is a bit more subtle than the Desert Gold. If you're worried, get a darker color and then, as Mr Brock-san mentioned, no one except other geeky bassist will notice anyway.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Photo of the black Bongo:

[​IMG]

Not too wild, is it?

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I will give you an unbiased opinion based on several times playing these basses at various stores. I believe the Bongo is one of the best basses out right now. The 4 band preamp is the best preamp out right now, and I only wish that they would sell it seperatley. I have only played the models with the Piezo, and like Bovine said about the MM, it's cool to noodle with, but it's not going to make a huge difference one way or the other. The space is a little tight, not quite as tight as a Ric, but pretty close. They also make a model with the J p-up in the neck position that would make slapping much easier. I haven't played one of those yet though. As far as the looks go, I think they look pretty good. I would agree that the darker colors will subdue it bit if you are worried about it. I would definitley buy one of these basses, but I'm going to wait for one to pop used. I already have way to many basses, so there's no need to rush out and get one yet in my situation, but I will have on some day!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not "wild" - but it just looks very much like the kind of plastic toilet seat that you see a lot of these days!! ;)

Usually with something like inlaid goldfish set in clear plastic or similar!!

Do, I want to be seen with a plastic toilet seat hung around my neck....? :meh:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Login to your account

Checkout your basket

Help & Information

Jeans (PWMN0017)
    Price (inc VAT): £74.97

Stylish French design toilet seat to add a real touch of quality to any luxury bathroom :

[​IMG]

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    So Bruce Lindfield, how do your comments in any way add value to this thread? :meh:

TaySte_2000, check out the comments made about my Bongo in the New England Get Together thread in the Off Topic forum. People were clearly surprised by the punch and tone of my new 4 string Sapphire Black Bongo.

Mine doesn't have a piezo so I don't know how that would affect tone. All I know is I'm loving mine. :) :hyper:

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No, no, no... Bongos are pretty cool. Now this, this looks like a toilet seat:
    [​IMG]

...silly six stringers :D

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Glad you came back from your self imposed exile to post such helpful, informative, on topic posts, Bruce. :rolleyes:

Oh, and, by the way--bonus points for actually linking to a pic of a toilet seat, but really, isn't calling the Bongo a toilet seat a bit old, and tired at this point? At least try and be original if you're going to troll in threads while adding nothing to the discussion....

As for the questions at hand, I will be posting some Bongo mp3s in the coming days with a)old strings, b)new strings, and c)nylon core strings. I've got the piezos in mine, so I'll try and post as many different combinations that I can think of.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Personally, if this is the level of discourse you plan to add to this thread, I'd prefer if you weren't seen at all....

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I heard all the toilet seat comments back in 78 when I got my first Stingray.

You Toilet Seat Guys need to get some new material.

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So piezo's don't really add much, hmmm was just thinking i might prefer a bit more of an acoustic tone when playing with the classical guitars and woodwind sections. Though if it's not worth the extra cash I doubt i'd go for it.

Now Bruce i've always valued your opinion before especially in the Steve Lawson forum, but all i've asked are some simple questions about the features and tone and one small insignificant question about shape and colour and I do feel that if you don't answer any of these then your not really helping and I believe thats what every one here at TB is trying to do. Help some of the less knowledgable people with their queries.

Bovinehost I love your black one but there something about that yellow that just screams to me. Kinda thought Rolls burgundy was nice but you don't see many pics so I can't tell if it's marron or purple.

Thanks for all the reply everyone

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't discount the piezos just yet--I love mine, and when I order my 2nd Bongo in a couple of weeks, I will certainly spend the extra $$ for the piezos in that one, too. As soon as I get a set of Labella tapewounds in the mail for my ABG, I'll be doing a bunch of different string recordings with my Bongo. The experiment should be a lot of fun.

As for color, I also love the Desert Gold, but I've decided against it just to be a bit different. Have you seen the Medallion Gold? I saw a SR5 in that color with a Pearl guard, and I thought it looked pretty amazing. Right now, I've got the next Bongo narrowed down to either Medallion Gold or White.

Oh, and I'll have some live recordings of the Bongo from my jazz gig this Friday night, too. :bassist: So, lots of Bongo recordings coming up!

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That's awesome! I can't wait to hear your recordings! :)

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    [​IMG]
    That seems to be a big, fat single coil, doesn't it?

[​IMG]
    Everybody's got something to hide 'cept for me and my Bongo.

[​IMG]
    Yes, it is a shark.

19. Comparing Bongo to a toilet seat is very unfair. It's unfair to the toilet seat. When toilet seats are made out of wood, they're generally made out of an attractive, quality wood, not basswood.

20. smifedeg

smifedeg

Apr 28, 2004
    Århus, Denmark
    I just got my Bongo this easter, I traded my Warwick Tumb n/t in for it.
    And I I could not be a happier camper! :hyper:
    I just love the thing to death.

I got the Egyptian smoke with a h/b and s/c. And I have no problem with slapping and popping, and I have short chubby and stubby fingers. You need to pack massive fingers to have a problem, or just be really uncoordinated.

The four band eq is amazing, it's the best onboard eq I've ever used. I must say it has sett a new standerd for onboard pre-amps. I love how I can dial in subtle differences and not so subtle differences in a jiffy.

Mine dos'nt have the piezo, but I don't see how it could not bring even more to the heavyli packed Bongo, which even with out the piezo offers a grand portfolio of sounds possibilities. I like to have alot of sound options (I use alot of different sounds, even during tunes, I switch p/u's alot), and the Bongo really offers alot, and is really easy to use too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.