1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some good modern bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thebbconspiracy, Aug 3, 2012.

1. I'm not talking about Flea, Steve Harris or Geddy. I'm talking about bassists who are in up and coming bands or who are in relatively new bands.

I think some good bassists nowadays is hard to come by in popular music. But to think off the top of my head, I can only think of Tom Blankenship from My Morning Jacket and Mark Stroermer of the Killers. Do you guys know anymore?

It might help me in finding some good new music too. :D

2. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    No. But I wish there was!

3. Daniel Mcardle

Daniel Mcardle

Jul 1, 2010
    Nick O'Malley from Arctic Monkeys has some pretty nice basslines. The song 'Black Treacle' is a especially creative, in my opinion.

Also, Kieren Webster from The View, particularly the song 'Shock Horror'.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    *cricket chirp*

I got nothin.

5. ghostlau

ghostlau

Jul 30, 2012
    Montreal, Qc
    In Quebec we have Fred Fortin who is a great bassist. He sings in french but he has an awesome groove.

Fred Fortin - Gros Bill

6. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Chris Wolstenhome from Muse, he's pretty rad. There are tons of small bands that I've seen live or have heard of from friends that have great bass players.. If somebody says that they can't name a band with a good "modern bassist" then I say they aren't really expanding their horizons very much. One example of a band with a good bass player that I've recently seen would be "Opium Symphony". The bassist was rocking a 6 string Bongo like a boss.

7. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Chris Baio of Vampire Weekend. He plays really nice melodic, driving lines. Don't know his name but the bassist from Hungry Kids of Hungary plays in a similar style, but less complicated.

8. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

SEAN HURLEY!!!

9. Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me. They're only a decade old.

10. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    States is a great band. In addition to being a great band, their drum and bass parts are locked in, deliberate, and a pleasure to listen to.

http://youtu.be/Yo3SpUI96cQ

I'd also throw Still Alive (http://stillalive.bandcamp.com/) into the mix, but they're in a whole different area. These guys are weird, and unlike my previous mention, I do not suggest everyone checks them out. They're noisy hardcore/punk/ska, which is definitely not going to be accessible to a lot of people. That being said, I saw them once, and I was sold. The guitarists and bass player had great tones. I feel like no other bass player could be a better fit for the band, which is awesome.

11. TBDave

TBDave

Dec 1, 2011
    Michael League from Snarky Puppy does a lot of interesting things. He composes a lot of the music of his band too.

12. I agree that most great bassists nowadays are either in not too popular bands (*cough, cough* me :D) or get buried in the mix like the Stones did with Wyman. I would throw in Esperanza Spalding as well. I'm blown away by her playing. Inspired me to take the frets out of my Ibanez cheap bass my drummer gave me. Plays quite nicely. haha Fred Fortin blew me away as well. That's a great tone and his music kind of reminds me of a less awkward Primus. Wolstenhome is a great bassist for some reason he doesnt do anything for me.

13. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    +1 to michael league. i know him personally and he is a bad bad man...

14. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yep, Michael League, Esperanza Spalding. I'd also add Derrick Hodge. He's gotta be one of the baddest players today.