1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some real primative recording help please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Red701, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    Alright all i wanna do is get some raw bass on to my computer. ive got the 1/4 to 1/8 plug adapter but i donno where to plug it into. and i have a program called Audacity. Its free so im fine with it. now what do i do?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The unfortunate aspect of the music industry, is that the more money you spend, the better you will sound.

Your computer should have a 1/8 line-in jack. Plug your bass into that, using the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Also, Windows comes with a sound recording program, use that to start with.

3. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    i used to do recordings like this. my line-in never worked for recording, for some reason, it would just pump the sound directly to the speakers. the mic-in worked, though. eventually i found out i could get a better (though still low-quality) sound just by using the crappy computer mic instead of plugging an instrument straight in.
    also, you may have to tweak your volume settings in windows. the advanced settings will give you access to the input levels.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I think you're right there. From memory, the mic input was better.

5. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    plug the 1/8 into the min input? or just use a mic?

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Mic the amp. You'll get a better sound than just plugging directly into the mic input from the bass.

7. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    If you have a mic and an amp you could try that.

I've been using the mic plugin with the 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor.
    I tried sound recorder (Win) first but couldn't get any sound, even though i could hear my Bass thru the speakers.

Audacity works great for me since I don't have an amp yet.
    couple things I had to do:

1:down by the clock in windows is the main volume control, I had to turn Line-In all the way up (this was before I realized tyhe woofer master volume was pretty low, but it also helps get sound to Audacity)

2:In Audacity choose line in from the drop down menu

3:In Audacity, still the noise level is low, I have to amplify every recording, I usually don't do it max because the sound comes out flatter when playing back the MP3 or WAV than it sounds in Audacity. So I've been boosting the Equalization a bit too, if you amplify it too much you won't leave room for equalization.
    (I suppose you could equalize first, but it's soo quiet before amplifing it)

Even with low quality recordings it's been great for me, I've just been playing around alot trying to come up with lines, I'd forget them withint a few days if I don't keep rehashing them, when I play back a recorded line it comes right back (most of the time)

8. if you have a bit of money to spend on a decent trouble-free adaptor to plug in your bass i suggest you try M-Audio JamLab.

i own one and i like it. (it's USB)
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab-main.html

They go way cheaper than the MSRP on the page, can often find some on ebay for cheap. (recording software with simulated effect pedals included - not so high class but ok for starters)

9. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'd say the jam plug over your soundcard

10. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Without even going into reasons why, for what you are trying to do (record the whole band) you are beter off to just find a cheap stereo microphone, plug it into your souncards MIC IN and find a sweet spot in the room you'll record in,you all play together and do it that way.