1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Someone help me appreciate Lemmy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stringthrough, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Wrong... I've found that the banging of my various nieces sounds pretty much the same.

Korladis and interp like this.
  2. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I think that being a guy fascinated by history, Lemmy was a lot like those guys that represent The South in American Civil War re-enactments, or perhaps like the fellas that play as Germans in WW2 games like Day of Defeat or Axis & Allies.

Korladis likes this.
  3. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    OK, here's my evidence that Lemmy knew exactly what he was doing with his bass tone and approach to music. The clip below is apparently an extra from the documentary I mentioned, an episode of "Classic Albums" that focused on "Ace of Spades" specifically. I've seen tons of people on these forums claim that they prefer bassists that do their job of providing the groove without frills or fancy nonsense.

But if most bassists were in this situation where there is only one guitarist in a heavy rock tune, and that guitarist takes a solo, it sounds a bit empty during that time. Not here! The bottom doesn't drop out because it stays exactly the same, and there is still someone taking care of the "rhythm guitar" role.

Korladis likes this.
  4. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was done on purpose in this case.

Korladis likes this.
  5. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

Does seem like the thing that would be done on The Young Ones.

DrummerwStrings and Gluvhand like this.
  6. DrummerwStrings likes this.
  7. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Yep, sorry, but er, ah, hmmmmmm.

I appreciate ALL the musicians, and I'm a picky m... f....a. Pick, cool. Metal? Cool. Jazz upright? Cool. Funk? Cool. Flats, rounds, treble, cut, I'm a fan. And I'm not trying to "fanboi" just saying Lemmy is a GOD in many ways as a bassist, probably the most important that he didn't fit the mold.

Korladis likes this.
  8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    When I hear bass covers of Motorhead songs on youtube I am always wowed by the bass parts the only issue I have is that perhaps because of his tone being quite guitar like and distorted but it tends to blur with the rest of what is being played so for me to pick out what is happening on the bass parts on Motorhead tunes is harder than on most songs by other bands, not too take anything away from him as a player, he was a perfectly competent and capable bass player

9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA

stringthrough and Korladis like this.
  10. CCtop

CCtop

Jan 8, 2012
    My avatar says it all.

fretter and Korladis like this.
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Think KbD and I can hang out now?.....

ED3AEA04-B4A9-4360-B6BD-D5A68A914EAF.

fretter likes this.
  12. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Not until you do something with the pink ukulele :bassist:

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If Lemmy can rock jorts, I can keep my pink uke!!

gumtown likes this.
  14. CCtop

CCtop

Jan 8, 2012
    That damn record drove me nuts. When I got it years ago, the song order was different. After I got the remastered AoS, i had to burn it to a cd in the order I was used to. I never got used to the original order.