1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs you can't get your head around

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by belzebass, Oct 15, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

Feb 21, 2012
    Hi, everyone!

I've been trying to learn "Papa got a brand new bag" by James Brown. So, nothing complicated, eigths notes only, reasonable tempo... But somehow I just couldn't get it right. I play it easily and correctly against metronome, but not with the recording :) Something just kept throwing off for no apparent reason in several places (though it's very repetitive). It got better with practice, but I have to concentrate strongly and still mess up from time to time.

Do you know songs like that? Nothing technically complicated per se, but somehow hard to play in context? A snare/horn that throws you off, or vocals throwing your groove into trash, or changes popping out of nowhere, or sudden groove change?

2. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Miss You by the Rolling Stones is that way for me...

3. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    a lot of songs by Joe Henry are that way for me
    I just can't get his sense of time. 'Trampoline' etc

4. Clemburger

Clemburger

Aug 21, 2013
    The Trees by Rush

5. Some songs don't fare well with a metronome. Bernie Odums (J B's bass player)went much more by the feel of this song than strict timing. Turn the metronome off , don't count , don't tap your foot and just try to get the feel of the song without getting too technical with it. It's worked for me more than once. Cold sweat is another one that the metronome will mess you up on too. Good luck.