SONIC Bass Cabs......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, May 20, 2004.

1. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I e-mailed the Sonic people to get more info on their product and this is the brief return I got.

>>Thank you for the inquiry. This cabinet is Thiele aligned and ported, made of 3/4" plywood and OSB, butt jointed, Eminence loaded.

Anybody know anything about these. Also what the heck is OSB that he refes to in the e-mail? The cab I asked about is their 115TL cab with option of a 300 or 600watt driver.I also asked to what HZ the cab was tuned to, but I guess he didn't know?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, Sonic loudspeakers are built with love by the God-fearing people of Wisconsin :D

OSB is Oriented Strand Board, a manufactured lumber product that is supposed to be strong. It's the chip board stuff you see at the home center. Cheaper than plywood, better than particle board.

If Sonic borrowed the TL design from EV, the cabinet is tuned at or about 55 Hz (IIRC).

I have some Sonic PA speakers and they are solidly built and Eli plays his 7 string basses through a tiny little Sonic TL type 1x15 and is quite happy with it.

The 200 and 300 watt Eminence will have stamped steel frames while the 600 watter will have a cast aluminum frame (hence the CF in the model number).

This help any?
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a Sonic 1x15 cab. That small TL ported variety that has a JBL loaded in it. I bought empty as I had hte JBL lying around. Seems pretty well built. I'm suprised to hear that OSB is in the Bill of Materials. That wouldn't be an 'A' list material for cabinet building I'm pretty sure. Works OK as cheap roof decking or sub floor though ...

Anyway my Sonic cab is small portable and fairly loud for it's size.