1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Sonic Nuance Electronics unveils third generation tuner DI combination pedal

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Fremont, California, April 2020: The new TDI (tuner DI) pedal provides a compact tuning and active DI solution for musicians who want to reduce stage clutter without reduction in sound quality. Unlike other DIs with tuners, the TDI can be powered via XLR via 48V phantom power to eliminate the need for an ac adapter or batteries even when the ground is lifted (it also may be powered by an ac adapter).

Features

• Third generation design is 30% smaller, lighter, more durable, quieter and lower priced!
    • Costly high quality, wide dynamic range, low noise and low distortion opamp-based buffers for transparency
    • EMRS (electro- magnetic relay soft) switching technology for the ultimate in reliability (relay rated at over 10 million cycles) and sound quality
    • 1/4" output is buffered and transformer isolated from the XLR output which has a ground lift to prevent hum and buzz
    • Tuning mode mutes the 1/4” and XLR outputs quietly
    • Bright LED display
    • Proprietary tuning algorithm with range : B0 (20Hz) – B7 (660)
    • High input impedance of 2M ohms can be driven directly by everything from low output single coils to the loudest hum buckers and even active and high impedance piezo pickups.
    • 48V phantom or 9-18V dc powered (ac adapter not included)
    • Signed personally, built and tested in small batches by Ted for quality - never mass produced for quantity
    • Powder coated cast aluminum enclosure with precise CNC cuts for durability and consistency
    • Three year warranty
    Ted Burmas of Sonic Nuance Electronics designed the TDI and says the following, " In 2012 I started Sonic Nuance Electronics after playing on worship teams for years and wondering why I couldn't combine my DI with a tuner and make it XLR powered. I wanted the only things I needed to bring to gigs were my instrument, a cable and the TDI. I took everything I learned from the previous generations of the TDI as well as customer feedback and realized I had to start from scratch to be able to make the TDI smaller, lower cost and have higher reliability (after several faulty foot switches over the last eight years, I am no longer a fan of true bypass and have designed a circuit that uses electromagnetic relays specifically designed for small signals typical of musical instruments instead. This new approach is called "EMRS" switching and stands for electro magnetic relay soft switching. It is more costly to manufacture but has proven superior in terms of reliability, consistency and sound quality). I improved my proprietary tuning algorithm to make it respond even smoother and faster. The active signal path have the widest dynamic range possible by designing a new power supply circuit for XLR operation making sure it works when ground is lifted as well as allowing for dc powering from 9V to 18V. I and others have beta tested this design over the last year on worship teams and recording sessions using five string bass, upright bass, acoustic and electric guitars making small improvements along the way. I went through several prototypes to dial things in and now I am very excited to reveal this final design I think others will benefit from."

Availability & Pricing

TDI is available now for $209 direct at sonicnuance.com

TDIFrontIsolated.jpg

2. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    California
    I met Ted at winter NAMM 2020 and had a long conversation and hands on demo with him about this product. It's as every bit as good as it looks!

3. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I don't have a need for this but I appreciate the niche it fills and the process of iteration it's gone through. Looking forward to seeing what people think of it!

Zbysek and sonicnuance like this.
  4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yeah, interesting idea.

Zbysek and sonicnuance like this.
  5. Interesting...

sonicnuance likes this.
  6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I was looking for a DI with mute switch years ago and couldn't find anything. This one works off phantom power and has a tuner..... i think i might have to get one.

FretFree, Zbysek and sonicnuance like this.
  7. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    If there are any questions I can answer please let me know. This forum has a special place in my heart as I've been a member for a while.

Thanks for the kind comments above.

Ted

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    An excellent product, I tried this at NAMM and totally dug it....

9. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Thanks Tony! Loved hearing you play as always.

TonyP- likes this.
  10. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I'm considering an Arkham Oracle preamp pedal for its tube and novel tone stack but disappointed it doesn't have an XLR DI out. Really not in the market for a DI but an integrated tuner/DI that can be phantom powered might just be the ticket for this. :thumbsup:

sonicnuance and Zbysek like this.
  11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I don't have the DI, but I've purchased some cables - both instrument and patch cables and they're great!

sonicnuance likes this.
  12. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Thanks CyberSnyder and I haven't forgotten about your suggestion for 8" patch cables!

GentProvocateur and CyberSnyder like this.
  13. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    I am very intrigued by the concept. I also play many sizes of live worship venues, and over the years have settled usually on my Lakland DJ5 and either the Tone Hammer or the LR Baggs Stadium DI with a (these days) Peterson StroboStompHD tuner. I’ve grown to like simple, especially with great sound from phantom power. Two questions...previous versions appear to have Jensen transformers, but this one is different...how does it compare? How would you characterize the sound? The YouTube demo is ok, but tough to grasp the tone, though prior version reviews rave about the great tone. Thoughts?

GentProvocateur likes this.
  14. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Thanks for the feedback on the website. I'll try to offer more audio snippets in the future.

I do offer the current generation TDI with a Jensen transformer as a custom order but it increases the price by about $80. The reason I went away from the transformer design in the current generation is a) I came up with a different phantom powering scheme that allowed the output to be electronically balanced and thereby reduce the cost b) I was able to use high grade op amps which keep the signal as clean as possible c) since it is active the output isn't 20dB attenuated like it would be with the transformer and d) the input impedance is very high and can be driven by piezo pickups directly.

As far as sound I did my best to make the pedal as transparent as possible by making the supply headroom greater than 10V (when phantom powered) and able to be powered by up to 18V when using a dc adaptor. This keeps distortion due to high dynamic range inputs as low as possible. Also, I use high slew rate op amps which respond quickly to fast input signals so they don't experience slew rate limiting. Finally, the op amps are low noise... All this to say I tried very hard to make sure the active TDI didn't have a "sound". Compared with the Jensen equipped version, since I buffer the signal before the transformer anyway, the difference in sound (other than 20dB attenuation) is minimal. A quality transformer in a DI matters most when it is a passive architecture. Since I buffer the signal going to the transformer in the new TDI (if a custom Jensen equipped one is ordered), it acts like an active instrument driving a passive transformer.
    Compared to the previous generation TDI which was passive only, I'd say this generation has a bit more high frequency range. The sonic difference is small if not imperceptible and mostly is swamped by the passive versions 20dB attenuation.

I happen to love Jensen transformers but many customers wanted a lower cost option. Since I felt sonically I could offer the same if not better performance I decided to design the TDI as an active only architecture. If anyone wants the Jensen equipped version I don't argue - but so far everyone who has tried the new design hasn't wanted to change.

You are welcome to try the TDI out. If you don't like it you can send it back within 10 days for your money back (minus shipping (about $8)). I sign each one I build to emphasize that I personally care about the quality of each one. I don't stock the Jensen transformers but I can get them in about 2-3 days.

Thanks for the great questions!
    Ted

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  15. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I’m excited to try it. My only other question...how has your feedback been from FOH folks in comparison to the many commonly used DIs on bass out there?

JulienP. likes this.
  16. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Actually some of my most enthusiastic customers are FOH engineers - they usually "get it" fastest when I explain the concept. Not only do they love not having to worry about batteries, patch cables or power supplies, they love the transparent sound. This has been true with the previous generations as well as the current one. If you need to talk to some some FOH engineers just PM me and I'll find you one or two.

17. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Kinda wish it had a separate volume knob for the OUT. That way I can send a steady signal to FOH and control the volume being sent to an onstage amp, powered monitor, BackBeat or whatever without affecting what FOH is getting.

18. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Good idea. Someday I might offer a more "preamp" version with eq. But the circuit board currently has no room left :)

JulienP. and CyberSnyder like this.
  19. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I guess there is always a volume knob on the amp, so you just have to take a step or two.

Zbysek likes this.
  20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic

Btw, what's the size of the pedal? I couldn't find the info on the web pages… Thank you.