1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sore RH finger joints with flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by augdog, Nov 14, 2010.

1. augdog

augdog

Nov 12, 2009
    Quakertown PA
    Recently I tried La Bella's flats on my Lakland 44-01 and I really like their sound, but I've found that my right hand finger joints are really sore after playing. I just played a show last night and my two fingers on my right hand hurt today. (play right handed)

Could this be because of a different string tension or their surface? Any others out there with the same issue?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes. Besides higher tension, flats are sometimes described as being grabby feeling to fingers when new. When I tried flats on a whim long long ago I thought they felt horrible compared to my fave string rotosound swing 66. Which are described as being rougher feeling then most roundwounds. Lol. If you dont mind their feel, and you like the sound, you might try lighter gauge or at least lower tension flats. imo

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The La Bella's kill my fingers. But sound so good. I just go through more ibuprofen.

4. augdog

augdog

Nov 12, 2009
    Quakertown PA
    Thanks for the responses. I have the lightest gauge I could find, but maybe it is the tension and the grab. Its Tuesday and my finger joints are still sore. not good. Maybe I was digging in too much with them too. Guess I'll put the old strings back on.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Turn your amp up and play softer?