Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sorry...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kayup, Jan 22, 2005.

1. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    Any advice for where to purchase long scale, light gauge nickel rounds for a six string... In britain (or at least somewhere that'll ship to Britain for something other than an exhorbitant price)

Damn, just reading that makes me want to give up and play the triangle.

2. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    Anyone?

<playplayplay, OW my hands>

3. I've got light-gauge nickel Foderas on my 6. I needed extra-long for the string-through setup- the builder told me these were the only ones he could find that would work. I don't know about shipping 'cross the pond, but they're nice.

4. do not despair! besides, there doesn't seem to be as much of a community over at www.talktriangle.com as there is around here...

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Why not Rotosound? Light gauge 6 string nickel would
    be set # RDB665LDN .030-.125 Made in England, so maybe
    cheaper than an imported set?

Good Luck
    Slug

6. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Check out http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk - they've got a good range of strings at good prices, and I've usually had the strings delivered the day after I've ordered them.

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Rotosounds S&%K royally! :scowl:
    I tried 8 or 9 different types on my axe and there was no bread there...some strings exhibited "dead notes" right out of the pack,the brightness was gone after the first week and almost all strings were out of intonation after the first month!
    Sorry for the Rotosound fans but,if 15 years ago I gave an arm and a leg for this brand,nowadays the story's completely different... :bawl:

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Wow...Lots of players including myself would strenuously
    disagree with you. I've tried just about every brand of string
    known to man, and I've come back to Rotosound. Last year
    I ordered 48 sets and I've gone through about 35 sets on
    8 basses with absolutely no problems. I started using Rotos
    in 1978, and they're the same now as they were then; bright,
    zingy, and for me, long lasting. I wash my hands before playing and use FastFret though...Your mileage may vary,
    however...PS, I've gotten bunk strings right out of the pack
    from several manufacturers, including Rotosound. Last time I got a bad string from them was about 3 years ago. I made one phone call to the US rep and had a replacement on my doorstep the next day, no charge......

Slug

9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Slugworth,
    It seems you're between "the choosen ones"! :D
    Seriously,I have no hidden reason for discarding a brand or another,being just a humble end user of a given product.
    I'm aware that there are ALWAYS some content users of a given brand and I don't try to detour anyone on using what he (or she) consider to be "the best".My statements are based exclusively on my experience regarding contemporary Rotosound production.The fact that I lately had such unpleasant results with a brand that I once worshipped means,in the best case,that my Rotosound dealer gets some "off-the-shelf" by-products.Wich,unfortunately,could happen to other vendors too.Wich leads to the conclusion that Rotosound's production became uneven regarding QC.
    BTW,there are some other complaints on another forum:
    http://www.basslinks.nl/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=2806
    I must say that I discovered the above thread only a few weeks ago,while my sad Roto experience lasts from about the last three years...therefore,I'm not negatively biased by what other folks said.
    Regards,

10. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK

I dunno, they welcomed me into the fold with open arms and inoffensive tinklings. Though there was that slightly awkward initiation ceremony involving some cyber cactus root...

ANYHOO, thanks for the ideas, maybe i'll check out rotosounds.

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Oh well, I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you..

Slug