Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound card latency

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Yvon, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm using this new program called guitar rig wich sound really cool.
    The problem is the latncy in my sound card. I cant get it under 25 ms and I need to be under 5ms.
    IS the problem the sound card or is there something I am doing wrong?

The sound card I use is integrated in my asus mother board.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    IME, on-board audio just isn't really up to par with cards... but, that might just be the crappy on-board audio I've used. Also, since it's on board (IIRC) that'll use your CPU to do it's work for it, rather than one for the audio (like on a PCI audio card). What are my suggestions? None really... I never had a latency problem (never used on-board audio for recording, sorry), so some one can help you there... but my suggestion would be to get a card... they usually sound better. The "best" card is one Soundblaster *just* put out... called the X-Fi. Three models of it have 2 1/4" input along with MIDI inputs, which IMO rocks. There's a TON of good cards out there, and some that are just for recording... if ya want to persue that route, feel free to PM me.

-Ray

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i saw those new X-FI card, they look pretty cool. But they are quite expensive. It's 400$ if I recal corectly.
    I just like to fool around recording on my computer nothing serious.
    A good soundblaster would be enough.
    I don't know if there is a soundblaster that I could get with a decent sound, decent midi sound with no latency?

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Audigy 2 and or 4 would suit you just dandy. And with the X-fi out, they're prices will go down, soon, and much.

-Ray

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    can you manually reduce your buffer setting in audio/soundcard preferences? this will reduce your latency...
    however, the less buffer, the more possibility of artifacts.
    if you can, try lowering it until you hear distortion/artifacts, then raise it until acceptable.
    it might get you closer, at least.
    cheers
    d

6. reading this thread i was wondering. i use a presonus firepod hooked up by firewire to my hp desktop which is heavilly modded. i did take out my soundblaster live previously before setting up the firepod and im just using the onboard realtek ac97 integrated audio.
    would i benefit at all putting my soundblaster back in?