Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Card Question...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jan 4, 2005.

1. It may have been discussed, but here's a question: I'm using the sound card that came with my computer. I have a Sansamp BDDI that I could use for recording... however, at home I just plug into my amp and pick up the sound through my computer mic (I know, it doesn't sound that great). I tried plugging my bass into the line-in section of my computer, but nothing. However, I now have the DI that could make a difference.

So tell me, could I plug into the Sansamp and out into the line-in input of my computer and record that way, considering I don't have an aftermarket sort of sound card? I don't use my computer for recording enough to justify buying a new sound card, so I wanted to know if mine is useable. And, of course, to verify if that setup would work. Thanks.

EDIT: The Sansamp has both XLR out and regular 1/4" out, right? Do I necessarily need to use the XLR out? Because I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, as it is, but still have yet to buy any sort of XLR cable, much less an adapter for 1/8".

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah you can use the 1/4" out on the Sansamp into the line-in on your sound card. it will still be a pretty low recording level though, but thats because its a stock sound card and not a $100,000 sound board. i assume your bass is passive and that is why you werent hearing anything the first time you tried it.

keep asking questions and researching new things that you hear about, you'll learn alot about recording and its quite addictive. soon you'll be buying all kinds of stuff. :)

3. Actually, my bass is active... I think I may have tried with my passive Squier, but to my knowledge, I didn't get any sound out of either. I will try using the Sansamp shortly.

And yes, recording gear is addictive. I was thinking of picking up a decent laptop to record at our drummer's house and bring it back here to mix and stuff. It's a lot of fun.

EDIT: I tried, and it doesn't seem to work. I'll make sure my 1/4"-1/8" connector works properly...

EDIT 2: Okay, so I tried plugging my bass into my amp, no problem. Now, what I did was plug the cable into the 1/4"-1/8" adapter, and plug that adapter into a 1/8"-1/4" adapter that I know works (I use it with headphones). No signal. I think I just need another adapter, if this is supposed to work. Well, thanks for the info, but I need to drop by Radio Shack or something!

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Most Win products toss up a speaker icon in the lower tight taskbar. If you doubleclick it, you can usually modifiy the "recording" side of the mixer. Sometimes the "Line In" is not checked so you get nothing AND at the same place you can turn OFF/mute the other inputs. Further control is offered depending on the recording sw. I find the OLDER(less resource-hogging) version of MusicMatch is great for recording in mp3 from the line in. The same line in is useful for converting those old tapes to CD. The Goldwave program can be used to clean things up.

With my soundcard(generic HP, P3 system) I use my line in as above to record bass from a POD or the line out of my amp. It ain't studio BUT if you monitor it in GOOD headphones you can get excellent results for cheap.

5. I'm currently using Goldwave to record to wav and then use RazorLame to convert it to MP3. I'm pretty familiar with the Volume Control thingy because I've tried fiddling with it a lot to get my bass heard through the computer! Good to hear that a plain soundcard works. I really think it's the adapter that got all screwy.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    are you trying to use two adapters? just the way it sounds, my apologies if isnt true.

chain should be. bass>normal guitar cable>sansamp>Guitar cable with 1/4" to 1/8" adapter>line-in on sound card.

The hardware is the easy part. like johnnycrab mentioned about the Windows software, that is where it gets tricky and you have to make sure the right checkboxes are checked or else it wont work.

7. It also depends on the output level of the SABDI. If it is line level (same as a CD player output or something like that) then the problem lies with your adaptors or cable. If it is mic level then you may need to plug the cable into a mic input socket and keep the input levels low. Have you got a mic input socket (rather than just a line input)?

EDIT: Checking the SABDI website it looks like the 1/4" outputs are still instrument level (mic level) but effected and uneffected rather than boosted in signal.

Try the mic input (cautiously because your bass will produce more signal than a mic).

Trouble shoot by playing a CD signal (from a walkman or something) through the line level input. If it works with the walkman but not the SABDI then its a question of output levels. If it doesn't work with the CD then it's down to the cables and adaptors.

8. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    you should be using a Tip/Sleeve cable from bass to your card line in. If you use a TRS adapter you are grounding out the signal. I also think the line out on your Bass DI is balanced so you actually don't need it for what you are doing.