1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sound check! 7p band! help!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Aug 10, 2012.

1. so i play with a fusion band with SEVEN musicians and i just cant figure whats the most efficient way to sound check before each gig. here's the line up and the order we usually go on in

1. drummer
    2. percussionist
    3. bass guitar
    4. guitar
    5. keyboard
    6. flute
    7. vocals and backing vocals

the drummer and percussionist take the longest of time so they go first. then guitar, bass and keys are sorted out after the flute and vocals.

BUT then i dont know how or where to start with the monitors?
    do we all play a song together and get our basic monitor mixes fixed up after that?
    its a such a challenge from there just getting the monitors all done quickly in a planned order. normally it just keeps going around in circles and the sound engineer at the desk is going crazy trying to follow what every one needs at the same time.

how can we "plan" to go over the monitor mix for each musician in an orderly manner so we can get really get it done every gig!

any suggestions, ideas or full blown charts will be awesome! :bassist:

and yeah am not even worried about the FOH mix and sound thats the engineer's job since we really hear much of it anyway my idea is if we can get everything done quickly then he can just handle the FOH way better with his time.

looking forward!

EDIT: we all have a wedge monitor each. the lead vocalist gets two wedge monitors and we have backline amps or guitar and bass. the guitar is mic'd but I go DI to the desk and use the bass amp to hear myself better. most days everyone has a separate aux so they can each have individual monitor mixes.

2. Having played Fusion for years, most everybody asks for adequate bass in their monitor, especially the drummer. Now the Drums Bass and Piano are the rhythm section. This should be the first to souncheck. Drums, bass, piano, then the melodic supporting instruments in that order...

3. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    If everyone has a separate mix, then usually I'll go through each performer, kinda like the list above, and give them how much they want of themselves. Then I'll quickly ballpark the sends so everyone has an approximate mix. Then the band will play a song, during which everyone can tell me who they need more/less of.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. Just take each person one by one, get each as dialed in as possible with what they want, let them play a tune or two then ask if they're OK or if anyone needs anything.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Maybe its just my inexperience but I find it almost impossible to give direction on my monitor mix unless and until the whole band is playing at once.

In the case of the OPs band I have to think that many pieces and that many wedges, plus backline, must be creating serious stage volume. Seems like a great scenario for IEMs though it wouldnt be cheap. At least they dont have a horn section cause that's when stage volume can really get over the top.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's why you dial it in as close as possible first, play a song or two and then have the soundman tweak it from there. Not everyone gets it totally right the first time but you have to start somewhere.

7. dieselbass

dieselbass

May 15, 2010
    Davis CA
    +1. Rough in and tweak from there. Then deal with feedback as required.

8. hey thanks guys! laying down a serious plan for the next gig!

9. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    I like to tell people they have three possible levels for each mic: off, a little, and a lot.
    Then they can say " I want a little guitar and a lot of vocals" or something to that effect, and that gives me a rough idea of what they want.
    Just like the other guys said: rough it in, then tweak for the first few songs.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    there's the soundcheck ritual where one guy plays, then everybody else holds their hand up; bring up the guy playing in each mix until that person drops their hand.

if there's no time for that, start with the non-amplified players (vocals, flute) getting a good amount of themselves; give the drummer a bit of everybody (since they usually don't get to hear a damn thing back there), then tweak the rest as you play.