1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sound difference in Sadowsky Metros?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gillento, Mar 29, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi is there any sound difference in the Metros between let's say:

Ultra Vintage Ash/Maple
    Vintage Ash/Maple
    Standard Ash/Maple

Or are these just cosmetical details?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Vintage and Standard... no difference... basically a pickguard vs. not. Ultra Vintage Metro.... somewhat larger body, somewhat heavier, 70's pickup placement (bridge pickup closer to the bridge). It's meant to sound a little more like a 70's J Bass... a little more aggressive.

I prefer the Vintage and Standards for weight and size, and the UV doesn't sound as different as I would have thought (i.e., it's MUCH closer sounding the the Vintage and Standard Sadowsky's than it is to other '70's style J Basses IMO).

3. I agree with this completely...BUT if you stick a set of single coils on the UV70 it turns into a totally different fish, it really nails that 70's vibe much better to my ear with the Single coils!!

Peace,

T

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I should have mentioned that, since Roger has posted that info on a few threads. Thanks! I'd love to hear one of those with the single coils.

5. I finally got to hear for myself at a friends shop in Raleigh! I was amazed at the difference the single coils made!!! I thought it was going to be subtle but it was pretty drastic on the UV70....It affects the mids, the low mids and the highs to my ear, the low mids and mids are much more present VS the Hum Cancelling and the highs are not as "glassy" (almost shrill sounding sometimes on the Humcancelling when turned up too much with cetain cab combos) sounding either. Really mellows out the tone while adding just the right amount of low mids and mids to get that 70's P U N C H!!! and just the right amount of highs to make it clean without and harshness....I have even been wondering about putting them on my NYC Vinatge 4 ever since.....But I just can't bring myself to change anything about this bass!! Hope that helps!

Peace,

T

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

i keep going on about this but what the hell... I love my UV70 with single coils! I love the mids! It sounds fantastic. Not exactly like a 70's Jazz, but very much like marcus for slap. Fingerstyle there is more punchy mids and less sizzle than i was expecting. Its cool! Single coils are where its at for me. they have that wonderful, growly, complex tone.

But yes they will sound different because of the 70s bridge pu placement and the full size body... but not as different with the same electronics as Kjung said...

I really should do a recording with both sets of pus into my computer to compare how they sound both on there own and in say the mix of a tune i've sequenced... But i don't have time...

7. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for single coils - I just had them put in my RV4 and I like them better than the HCs and they hum is minimal. I also like the Vintage Tone Control which takes some of the bite out and provides a warmer tone, if that's your thing.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    you guys still run the Sadowsky active preamp with the single coils? are they Sadowsky brand single coils?

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi,
    This really cleared things up for me. Now I just have to start saving or selling my Roscoe Beck to get a UVM 5:)

10. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    Yes it's strange becuase even Roger prefers single coils but obviosly he understands that the market in general is full of sheep that probably heard once that you HAVE to have hums in your bass to reduce noise but i bet none of these people can actually play, they don't understand the subtle dynamics you get from single coils, they just plonk plonk along.
    i know theres some guy here always harping on about how he loves his hum pickups in his 10 sadowsky basses, although i wouldnt ever take anything he says seriosly:p listen to Roger, he knows best! don't follow the sheep.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Thanks you for your wise words. So tell us, how many Sadowsky's have YOU played? Perhaps you could post some clips of your monster chops too, since most of your posts refer to Sadowsky owners who can't play.

12. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I still use the pre-amp with my single coils, and to my knowledge, they are Sadowsky-made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The SCs sound great but they tend to pick up a little more of the annoying fret "click" when I play. This is due to my playing style and is not the fault of the bass - I tend to dig in and play too hard sometimes.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here. Sometimes even with a light touch. I eliminated it by decreasing the treble, but I'm thinking a VTC is the first thing on my list next week.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :rollno:

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a set of Single coils in an UV70 that I just got form a trade with BikePlate and in one of my 2 NYC 4's.

All 3 basses sound incredible and I'm prtetty confident that, if I knew how to post sound clips, no one would be able to tell the difference. :)

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

None of my basses have them but I'd like to try a set in a couple. More curious than anything

Rob

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yes, i use the sadowsky singles.

Yes, I always use the preamp. I think the bass is too "quiet" without them and the tone is a bit dark/clouded. I think Rodger says that the preamp bypass was really only made as an emergency thing but some people use it off all the time.

I love the singles with the preamp because it balances out. Full bottom from the preamp we all love, rich punchy mids from the pickups and great treble responce too. I usually leave the treble flat and get a nicer single-coil treble edge to my sound.

The sadowsky singles are well priced, and i reckon that if you've spent your money on such a good bass, you owe it to try them out and see what you think... Just my 2cents!

Cheers

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    What does a person's preference of so called " subtle dynamics have to do with thier playing skill. :confused:

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hands, dont waste your breathe. Just the same troll in disguise

Rob

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mabis, feel that warmth on your back and shoulders? That's the hot stare of several TB moderators.

You might want to cool it a bit - reviewing your short post history shows that you have a tendency to insult people. Being a contrarian is one thing (and is good sport!), but being a jerk is quite another.