Sound files, effects and music.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 18, 2006.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, this year in my VCE theatre studies class we're putting on a show consisting of two ancient greek plays (The Frogs and Medea).

Now, i've taken up the stagecraft areas with a friend of both sound and lighting (as well as set design and some direction, lol!) and would like some help with it.

I need to compile short musical parts and backing sound parts for the duration of the plays and i'm wondering what the best way to do this is? (Ie. Once I have the tracks, should I burn them all onto a cd and run through them by tracks or some other way?) I need it to be on time and accurate.

Also, if you guys could help me get some sound files that'd be sweet.
    For Medea, it's a greek tragedy (story about a crazed mother killing her children), so i'm looking for lots of eerie, scary, droning etc sort of sound files. Especially one to play when the audience walk in. Over the top of the music I want to add screams etc etc to give effect.

Anyone know where I could get such files?

I'm also looking for some festival style music to play outside during interval and before the plays (it's going to be a sort of dramatic effect walking in from a festival with fire, music, dancing, singing etc, into this blacked room, red lights, droning eerie music screams etc) to sort of suit that ancient greek style..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Depends on your budget and if you have one.
    I have done a bit of sound for theatre as well as lighting.
    When it comes to sound, try 'Sounddogs'.

In terms of pulling it together. I use (expensive program but you can find a basic version thats been cracked) called SFX
    Loads onto a computer or laptop and keeps everything digital and will play right on the press of a button or the whole show can be timed.

Hope this helps.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Awesome, thanks swizzle. How much are those soundfiles if you order them (before i sign up).. and you wouldn't happen to have any eerie ones allready? lol

Would you be able to PM me in the right direction for the cracked version of SFX? Or are there any free programs that are similar/more basic?
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump.. anyone else help me out?