Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound post

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by duke13, Jun 1, 2005.

1. duke13

duke13

May 24, 2005
    On my newly acquired old kay the sound post is placed almost in the center of the instrument a little behind the bridge. I want to move it where it should be, behind the G string foot. Since it is in the center, a higher/deeper area of the bass, would it possibly be too long to fit correctly in the slightly shallower area behind the foot? Also, how can I move it with having it fall? Do I need a luthier?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    It can be DIY, but do yourself a favor and take it to a luthier...it's a maddening experience to try it yourself without a soundpost setter. You also need to know that it's the correct length...if it's moved to the center of the bass and still stays up, I'd wonder if it was too long to begin with, or that you might have some top sinkage.

3. What Mike said, plus...there's more to it than you think. Have your luthier do it the first time and watch him. Also, as Mike said, you should get a sound post setting kit, available at your nearest DB mail order joint.
    Look around the Newbie links and do a search for as much info you can get.

4. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Should the sound post be placed exactly under the G string foot? How can the post's position change the sound?

5. Down, directly under the G side bride foot and down, again, about the size of the diameter of the sound-post. In other words, you should be able to slip another sound-post in between the existing one and the bottom of the bridge foot.
    The movement of the sound-post changes the vibrations of the top. The further down you set the post, the looser or more open the sound is. the movement of the post toward the middle of the top, the darker the sound. The post provides a tighter, brighter sound the closer the post is moved to the bridge foot. I think this is all a rule of thumb and is not an exact science. One thing you can count on is that movement of the post will also change the playability of your bass...or to use that word that Arnold hates, the action.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i think Traeger says.........;-)