1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sound problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mvw356, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    so, yeah i have a sound problem.

i'm running my stingray straight into my TE V6 which is hooked up to a EBS 4x10 classic. my problem is lack of definition and low notes (relative, only 4 strings) don't cut through. my guess is that it's either the room or the speaker. all other instruments sound fine in the rehearsal room though. will a modern hifi cab sort out my problems and would a 2x12 for example improve my situation? i doubt that my bass or the amp are to blame. or do i have to get another rig alltogether?

cheers for the advice

2. If you can beg, borrow or rent another head you'll know for certain that your amp and bass are not to blame. Sometimes a certain amp will not sound so good with a certain speaker cabinet. I have never experienced this but others have reported so.

Paul

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not familiar with your gear, but I agree, you should try to change out one thing at a time to find the culprit. If it turns out to be the cab, sure, a more modern voiced cab would help.

4. Try positioning the cab differently in the room.

I had a rig that had killer low end on gigs, but in the rehearsal room it was very weak if I did not place it just right.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, what are your EQ settings? A huge percentage of the time problems with definition come from counterproductive EQ settings (including knobs like "enhance", "presence", "voicing filter", "ultra lo", "brite", etc. etc.).

6. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    A simple fix might be to turn down the bass knob and turn up your mid knob on both your Stingray and the V6. Solo, you might not dig the sound all that much, but I think you'll find that you cut through the mix a little better and with more definition. When you've got that cutting-through, turn up the bass knob and stand about 10' away from your cabinet to hear the low end.

Definition is all in the midrange. Sadly, many people think EQ is a V shape and completely cut the midrange out.

7. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    hey my eq is only bass middle and highs so no banana shape:)

i tried putting the amp and speaker in different positions in the rehersal room and it got better. i do think that the cab is not exctly what i'm looking for though, so i'm investigating other options.

thanks for your help.

8. the engine

the engine Guest

A couple of other guys touched on it but... Try to borrow some other cabs, heads, or basses. Then you can determine exactly what the problem is. Or like another guy said, spend some real time tweeking it and stand back ten feet. Good luck!

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Just a thought:

Room acoustics can kill sound in fantastic ways. Bass buildup in corners, standing waves...

You’ve already indicated that moving it around made a difference, but depending on the size, there may be no good place in that room. Under 2400 cu ft w/no bass traps, there probably isn’t.

Have you played that rig in a larger area?

10. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    yeah, i played the same rig at outdoor concerts and really big rehersal studios with no problems. the point of the rig was to get a fat and warm sound which it delivers very well, but in the new rehersal studio it's just mushy or i need to max the mids on the amp and go easy on the bass frequencies. i'm sure it's the combination of the room and the speaker that's causing the problem.