1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound settings on bass when recording

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LE44RT, Jul 11, 2012.

1. LE44RT

LE44RT

Jul 11, 2012
    Hello,
    So my question is how do you set your sound when recording an eletric bass with microphone. I mean like when you put a microphone infront of the amp.
    When I record like this i get a really compressed sound and you can't really hear the tones changing because of that unless you listen it with your headphones. :help:
    And another thing that i would like to know is. How to get sound like Flea in Higher Ground. :bassist:

Thank you for your answers.
    LE44RT :D

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    When you are not listening to the recording on headphones, what are you listening to it on?

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    #1 - You want the best signal-to-noise ratio possible. I.e., no hum or "hiss".

#2 - You want to record as "flat" a signal as possible. (EQ is best added during mixdown so you can do it in context of all the other instruments).

So whatever that means for your particular bass and amp combination, that's what you should be going for. Sorry I can't be more specific but there are so many variables involved.

4. LE44RT

LE44RT

Jul 11, 2012
    @Hactar: Well I'm listening to it on speakers :D

@jaywa: Okay I see your answer is very "professional" and I don't want to sound stupid now but could you please explain what exactly is signal and noise. I mean I know what the words mean but not in music i don't. Sorry I'm wasting your time but I'm not much of a study bass and amps guy.. I just play :D

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If you like the sound that's coming out of your amp then it's a matter of capturing it. Try moving the mic away from the speaker and record tracks at various distances from 1" to 12". Also, try pointing the mic towards the center of the speaker and then towards the edge of the speaker cone. The mic position, mic type, and mic preamp you use will have a significant affect on tone.

To give you more options, record a signal via DI and blend it in with your mic'd signal to taste.

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think if you are starting out recording, going DI only will be much easier on you. But if you don't have that option, the above advice is good. If you are getting a real compressed sound, are you giving the mic more than it can handle? Is the signal going into the red when you start recording?

In the old analog days, a little "into the red" was alright, but with digital, you don't want any red at all.

So try all the above tips, but also try turning your amp up or down, keeping in mind that you don't want any clipping at all ("going into the red") if you are recording digitally.

If you find that none of this is helping, it could well be the mic is no good for what you are asking it to do.

7. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Well, yes. But what sort of speakers?

8. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    One more thing I almost forgot: this should probably be moved to the Recording Gear & Equipment section.

9. whatiswhat

whatiswhat

Mar 11, 2010
    Joplin MO
    Are you using a powered mic or a stage mic to record?