Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Obsolex, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Just keep in mind that making a room completely sound proof takes some heavey construction and lots of $$$. What you were reading about is noise reduction.

Quality noise reduction involves drywall, (ideally cement walls) as well as layered walls, specialized tile, etc. That is to say, we are talking about heavy construction here.

Fortunately for me, (who will have a job in Architectural Acoustics after college), and unfortunately for you, there is much more involved than slapping some foam on the walls.

$200-$500 is not exactly a huge budget to play with, but I can look into what kinds of walls you might need to be putting up and get back to you later. The price of your project will most likely be determined by how much sound you want to filter, and how big your garage is.
  3. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I started out with your budget. I ended up spending $5000 and a year of weekends and vacation days completing the project.

I first started by pulling off the existing walls and ceiling, which were plywood, and I put fiberglass insulation inside of them. I covered the walls with a layer of pressed sheath, which is available at home depot and is basically compressed cardboard. I then went over that with a layer of sheetrock. The only window/hole left was a door to the outside and a hole for a window unit. Next, on two sides of the shed I closed in areas for storage, a control room, and a foyer so that when you come in the front door, you are in a small area where you must open a second door to get to where the loud stuff actually happens.

After I did this i had a great big echo chamber. I put down some carpet, and made some bass traps and mid/high absorbers. This was the least expensive thing I did and the best money I spent because now the room sounds great.

Looking back, the most helpful thing I did was accidentally build it such that 50% of my walls in the loud room have a lot of dead space behind them. Those are the directions that kill the most sound. If I wanted to take another step and make it more soundproof, I'd go 6" away from the existing wall in the live room and build a room inside of that room, complete with ceiling, and follow the same process that I did with the existing garage. I am not this crazy however, and what i've done so far has worked great.

In summary, the project cost me 10 times what I expected at the onset and took 3 times longer than i expected to complete. However, the benefits of the room have far exceeded the toils needed to construct it. Every practice is at home, I can record whenever I want for free, and I can spend as much time working on music or sound or whatever and bother noone.

Good Luck in your efforts...