Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundproofing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ilfretless, Oct 8, 2003.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I don't really know if this is the right topic. actually i don't even know if this is the correct word.
    my problem is: i am renting a garage with a group of friends and the idea is to play in it. we have to make it really well because no noise can get out of it, we don't have much money and we would like a nice sound even if it's small (6m X 2.50m)
    i know we are asking too much but this garage is perfect because of its position and we would have to wait years to find a better one.
    any suggestions?
    i haven't done anything similar before, so i'm a little confused...
    thanks!:D

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    If your looking for a cheap way of going about it. Egg holders...I don't mean like a dozen of eggs holder, but if you can find a chicken farm they should have what your looking for.
    I found that furniture moving blankets will muffle some sound.
    If you have money to spend on sound proofing,they have sound blocking tiles. They can be a bit expensive though. You can find them at Guitar centers, at Musicans friend.

Your best bet IMO is to go for the moving blankets.(If you can find them) and try to put something..like packing boxes to put in the upper corners of the room. This will stop the bass sounds from bouncing around.

I've done this in the past and was very supprised as to how well it worked.

Maybe someone else has better ideas.
    Good luck keeping the noise down!
    :)

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

DO NOT USE URETHANE FOAM!

Read up on the foam used for soundproofing at the Station Club fire and DO NOT USE THAT!

People call it solid gasoline.

Thor

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Just dont use it if you plan on doing some pyrotecnics. Your in a garage, a small one. Stay away from sparklers! :p

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Using egg crates or foam will help the acoustics of the room, but they will do next to nothing in terms of soundproofing (stopping the sound from leaving the garage). Mass is the only way to stop sound. If you're serious about soundproofing you need to build a room within the room, then fill the space in between the rooms with sand or concrete. This gets very very expensive, and is probably not worthwhile.

6. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    actually we have tons of egg boxes 'cause we have a friend that sells eggs.
    someone told me to use lead panels but this should be expensive, we have a small butget but, being 18 people because it's three groups that will play there, we should be able to have like 800€ to spend. in this price we have to fit soundproofing, an amplifier and some other material.
    we are deciding today if to buy the garag or not, i will tell you soon!
    thanks

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

8. i suggest having your drummer look into these things called revolution drumkit mutes.

these are drum mutes that mount onto the drums and cymbals, and while they quiet the drums substantially [about 80%], you still hear the tone and sound of the drums. they also feel very good -- give the drummer the right bounce and response without feeling "formica"-like.

i used these for several years and was able to get away with practicing in my apartment till around midnite, and having the rest of the band members just turn down the volume on their amps. this is a great way to get practice in without blowing your ears out, or having the vocalist strain. also, if you want to hear things louder, you can mic the drums, with the mutes on them, play through headphones, and have everyone else listen to the mix through headphones, too.

i say it's a cheaper solution than rigging up the whole room.

check 'em out:

www.revolutionmutes.com

don't know what they would charge to ship to italy, but it's probably still cheaper than trying to soundproof a whole room.

my2pennies-
    meeks

9. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    Ok we got the garage!
    we don't really have this problem with our drum player because, playing ska/jazz he is very soft. actually our volume is determined by our sax and trumpet, and is not very loud.
    we decided the best way to do this without spending too much is to put glass wool on the walls and ceiling, cover it with cork panels and then egg boxes. the door will have to be done with professional stuff because I think it could be the most delicate part.
    What do you think about this? would it be enough for a group of 7 elements that play softly?
    I also have a question: do you think we'll need some kind of air conditioning? how should we do this considering that this would mean a hole in the door and this would be bad for soundproofing?
    thanks to all:D

10. Thor

The glass wool ( fiberglass ) should work out ok.

The air conditioning can be a problem as you need to have some air flow, and the smaller units, like window units are not designed to restrict sound.

Larger units with separate air handlers might be better.

However, anything is better that nothing. The insulation will also help keep it warmer in winter. if you get much cold weather in your part of the country.

11. Thor

Great article, Treena!

12. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I think there is everything I will need in this article! thank you!

13. Ethan is a friend and he has helped with the acoustic design in my commercial facility. I thought you gentlemen might get some use out of it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Thor

... gentlemen ... ?

:ninja:

[​IMG]

15. Yes, I wrote gentlemen!

[​IMG]
    Treena