Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sovtek no glow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Are Sovtek tubes supposed to glow? I just installed 2 into my Peavey Raxx preamp. They work fine, they just don't glow like the Chinese tubes I took out.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had the same "issue" with my stock Sovtek preamp tubes in my YBA200. They didn't really glow much, not the 12AX7's nor the 12AU7 splitter... now the Mullards I put in glow like mad but the old ones worked fine despite have a very faint glow. I wouldn't be concerned based on my EXTREMELY limited experience but maybe someone with more knowledge can give you a better response.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They sound much, much better than the tubes that were in it. A lot warmer and more gain. I am seriously thinking about selling my SABDDI now.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Which Sovtek tubes? 12AX7WB, by any chance? There are plenty of tubes out there (not just theirs) that don't have particularly exposed filaments, hence you can't see the glow as well. If the tube's conducting, you can be sure the filament is heating up.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    These are 12ax7 LPS.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Don't have any of those in my shop, but I wouldn't worry about it, in any case.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've noticed that the EH soveteks dont glow all that much, but they sure sound ok.

8. LPS tubes glow but it's very hard to see. I had a lot of problems with these Sovtek LPS tubes using them in my Mesa 400+. Turns out the Mesa just didn't like them but I also think it was a bad batch of tubes and it's fixed. You can contact Sovtek about it.

http://www.sovtek.com/

They are New Sensor here in the States.