Spalt 5 string - hardware poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Gold

25 vote(s)
  2. Black

68 vote(s)
  3. Satin Chrome (not reflective chrome)

28 vote(s)
  4. Cowboy Neal

7 vote(s)
  1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been working on this bass for a while and I'm finally committing myself to finishing it. I had originally chosen gold hardware for the bass (gold against the mahogany looks schwank), but the more I think about it I think black would look proper too. The body is poplar, neck is mahogany, the body top is spalted flame maple and though not visible from the picture the body bottom has a layer of mahagonay also.

I also have the necessary hardware to do satin chrome also (I had a few different basses in the works, all 5 string, so easy enough to swap parts ;))

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the look of that spalt top. It's not too busy. Bass will look sweet when you're finished. Post some pics.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think black sould stand out too much, the rest of the bass is too light in comparison. I also don't know if gold would go well with the spalt top. My preference would be the satin chrome, I think it would work best with the spalt, and not stand out too much.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey my eyes, gold would look nice. Satin chrome would look great too.

But I voted for Cowboy Neal simply because my given name is Neal and I have to give props to Neal being spelt N-E-A-L as opposed to N-E-I-L or N-E-E-L or whatever else.
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I voted black. I like the contrast, and also I'm inclined to think the eye would focus better on the whole unit if you didn't have the reflectiveness of the gold... Not that the gold would be bad. My second choice actually would be a *gold* satin, as satinized chrome is just grey. Wouldn't go with the rest of the bass.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I thought Blk would look great with that wood, especially when it darkens up even slightly.

Cool Body style, reminds me of a Sei.
  7. I voted satin chrome, because it has an understated look and will stay looking good the longest. Black and gold will flake off in the long haul.
  8. I've got a spalted maple top Warmoth Deluxe 5 that I built, and after debating on whether to go gold or black, decided to do a mix. As I had two complete colored sets of Schaller bridges and gotoh tuning keys, I took the bridge saddles off of the the black bridge and put them on the gold bridge. I took the black tuner bushings and put them on the gold tuners. I used the gold neckplate, but with the black screws.

I'll try to get some pics up to show you how cool it turned out.
  9. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey yeah, definitely post some pics! That's an idea... I'd thought about alternating black/gold/black/etc with the tuners, but figured it would come off too clownsy. What you did does the same thing alternating-wise, but w/o the whole gimmicky look.

10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I put satin chrome hardware on my TB custom, which has a flamed maple top, and I think it looks really classy. I think the only thing more expensive than satin chrome is custom wood knobs. Blacka nd gold are definately more common and cheaper. After searchign through endless parts distrubitors, the only place I could find a stacked concentric satin chrome knob set was through Ibanez of all people. Custom BTB hardware...
  11. Here's how black looks on my MTD 535:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.

Gold detracts from the beauty of the wood, IMO. The satin 'chrome' looks (not to be snooty) sort of 'Ibanez'.

Gold on my Koa bass detracted from the wood's beauty. Now I have a quilt maple Elrick and flame black walnut NYBW with black and they look very classy but you notice the wood, not the hardware.

just my $.02

That will be a gorgeous bass. Hope it TONEs for you too!

Tom H.
  13. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh good lord, all of those basses are schwank.

Hrm, black seems to be leading... I think I'm gonna have to go black on this one :hyper:
  14. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    On this bass I like Gold machines and bridge with Black Knobs.
  15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i voted black but what's cowboy neal?
  16. I would say black, especially if you are using black pickups and not making wooden shells for them.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Only the sexiest cowboy in northern Iowa!

It was a tough choice between Cowboy Neal and black, but...I've gotta say, I'm forced to go for black.
  18. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    To quote a really bad movie, "Always bet on BLACK!"
  19. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    If BLACK is not the answer, then your asking the wrong question!!!

20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    PLEASE tell me that NYBW bass plays and sounds awful. I need someone to tell me that. I'm not sure lust adequately describes my intentions toward a NYBW 5.