1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spank Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by charliefreak, Feb 15, 2013.

1. So I've been killing time at work and dealing w/ a serious hangover so I decided to wikipedia bass guitar. I was just looking through the techniques and they site a method of Spank Bass which is using an open palm to slap the strings. I've never heard or seen this before. Does anybody here... spank.. their bass? If so, why?? I can't imagine getting any good clear sounds that way.

I'm honestly not starting this thread to rip a technique of playing. I mean, different strokes right? (pun intended!) I'd just like to know what the practical application of this style would be.

Thanks!!
    CF

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    This technique is usually used as part of a slap & pop line to add a percussive or "dead note" effect. For example: slap pop spank slap (repeat).

3. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    I've seen this technique used in bossa nova's. Useing the palm of the right hand to slap all the stings and slide down the neck. works kinda like a bass drum.

4. So typically when this technique is being used people are muting w/ their left hand? I don't really get a noticeable sound when I do that- it seems like the drums would overpower the basses percussive note making it kind of useless, unless it's a really bass heavy (good) song or acoustic w/ bass. I'll have to play with this technique a little. It's always exciting to have your eyes opened to a new style of playing!

5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    For using it as a slap dead note it's not exactly like changing hand position from closed palm to open palm. You still can keep your fingers curved and hit a couple strings with your lower palm. Hitting your lower palm on the E and A (and maybe you hit the D a little too) is enough to get the percussive hit. Don't completely open your hand between slaps and pops. That'd just be extra work.